Muhammad Shah. Rupee. Mint: Dar al-Sultanat (Lahore is off flan at top). RY x8 / AH 111x

Started by Guillaume Hermann, August 12, 2022, 05:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Guillaume Hermann


saro

Mughal / Aurangzeb Alamgir
rupee of Lahore "dar al-sultanatLahore" ("Lahore" is off flan at top)
RY x8 / AH 111x
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Seeker55

Excellent ID, Saro! Building on the Aurangzeb 111x and RY x8, the only two possibilities are 1115/48 and 1116/48 (both listed in Krause, KM # 300.53).

saro

Thank you Seeker55, I fully agree with these 2 possibilities ;)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

@Guillaume Hermann: plaese remember the Xrefs. Thank you!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Quote from: saro on August 12, 2022, 05:53:10 PMMughal / Aurangzeb Alamgir
rupee of Lahore "dar al-sultanatLahore" ("Lahore" is off flan at top)
RY x8 / AH 111x

Quote from: Seeker55 on August 12, 2022, 08:44:21 PMExcellent ID, Saro! Building on the Aurangzeb 111x and RY x8, the only two possibilities are 1115/48 and 1116/48 (both listed in Krause, KM # 300.53).

The ruler is Muhammad Shah (1131 - 1161) and not Aurangzeb.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

saro

Of course !  ::)  I mixed with the previous posts...
Thank you for the correction
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Guillaume Hermann

Thanks to all. So it is Muhammad Shah, regnal year 18 or 28?

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Guillaume Hermann

Muhammad Shah reigned for "only" 30 years.

asm

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

asm

Quote from: Guillaume Hermann on August 13, 2022, 12:51:54 PMMuhammad Shah reigned for "only" 30 years.
Coins in the name of Muhammad Shah dated RY 31 are fairly well known.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Seeker55

It seems that as a team effort, with input from several of us and a bit of backtracking, the coin has been successfully identified.

On examining the photos in Krause's "South Asian Coins and Paper Money" (2013) it is apparent that the Lahore rupee of Muhammad Shah matches (KM#436.40) while that of Aurangzeb doesn't. I didn't check that carefully enough before.

In Krause are listed the years for this coin 11xx/8 and 1148/18, so I suspect this coin is one of those. I was assuming the third stroke of the 111x was a 1, but with the way the Arabic numerals are made it could equally well be the start of a 2, 3, or 4.

Cross-references:
Zeno https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=274314
Numista  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces108217.html

asm

Quote from: Seeker55 on August 14, 2022, 02:04:09 AMOn examining the photos in Krause's "South Asian Coins and Paper Money" (2013) it is apparent that the Lahore rupee of Muhammad Shah matches (KM#436.40) while that of Aurangzeb doesn't. I didn't check that carefully enough before.
The attribution by date should be easy enough but here, unfortunately the date is not there but the rulers name is almost fully on the flan and it reads Muhammad Shah.........

Quote from: Seeker55 on August 14, 2022, 02:04:09 AMIn Krause are listed the years for this coin 11xx/8 and 1148/18, so I suspect this coin is one of those. I was assuming the third stroke of the 111x was a 1, but with the way the Arabic numerals are made it could equally well be the start of a 2, 3, or 4.
In case of date for Muhammad Shah who ruled from 1131 to 1161, the possibility is 113X & 114X. RY's ending with an 8 that match his reign with these dates is RY 8 & 18. Theoretically, 28 would also fit but it would match a 115X.
I think there is a verticle stroke to the left of the 8 and since it has no protrusions to the right, I would assume it to be a 1 making the RY 18.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

asm

This is a better match - RY 18. The symbols on the lower part of the reverse also seem to match, confirming that the coin is indeed RY 18. Also attached is the image marking what I read as the date.

Amit

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"