JAHANGIR - Ahmadabad - AH (101)9 - RY 6 - Sawai Rupee - Inayat Couplet -KM 158.3

Started by jaspersaini, June 26, 2022, 02:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaspersaini

Sharing Jahangir Sawai Rupee from Ahmadabad mint.

AH (101)9 - RY 6 - Inayat Couplet

14.07 Gm. - 21.9 MM - KM 158.3 -Zeno

Thickness - 3.8 MM

Inayat-couplet reads as follows:
                                  Sikka zad dar ahmadabad az enayate elah
                                  Shah nur al-din jahangir ibn akbar badshah

(Struck money at Ahmadabad, by the blessings of God
                                  Shah Nur al-Din Jahangir, son of Akbar Badshah)

Your comments are most welcome!

Figleaf

Great fun catch, jaspersaini. What is the difference between this type (KM 158) and the 1016-1033 type (KM 149)? Is it only the couplet, or also the weight? I seem to remember that Jahangir experimented with heavier coins and ran smack into Gresham's law, but can't find a reference.

See Numista 50463 (Lahore)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Quote from: Figleaf on July 02, 2022, 04:50:15 PM......... I seem to remember that Jahangir experimented with heavier coins and ran smack into Gresham's law, but can't find a reference.

Peter
I am not sure but there is more than meets the eye. At first, it was 20% heavy (Jahangiri rupees) and then later 25% heavier (Sawai rupees). All these coins have the same Silver purity as the normal weight rupees. These were ordered to be passed off as normal rupees in value .... so far so good. But this was ordered in only a few mints and the other mints continued minting normal rupee (tola weight) coins............ WHY?

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Tirant

Very little info i can add; i can nothing but say that your coin looks really great. I just fell in love with it ;D

Also 14,07grs on just 21,9mm :o how wide is its edge??