UK commemorative coins for 2023

Started by eurocoin, June 11, 2022, 09:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krishna

Quote from: eurocoin on May 18, 2023, 12:47:56 PMNew releases can now be announced:

50 pence Star Wars - R2-D2 and C-3PO
50 pence Star Wars - Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine
50 pence Star Wars - Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia
50 pence Star Wars - Han Solo and Chewbacca

They are lowering their standards by launching these coins, could have launched them as just bullion rounds, denominating them dosent seem so appropriate

Alan71

Quote from: krishna on June 17, 2023, 06:01:24 AMThey are lowering their standards by launching these coins, could have launched them as just bullion rounds, denominating them dosent seem so appropriate
They did that long ago with the Beatrix Potter stuff.  One or two coins fair enough, but not the numbers they did.  I'm not sure they have any standards these days.

Deeman

I think the Royal Mint they are trying to emulate Pobjoy who are famed for rubbish issues.

Offa

Is it just me who is sick and tired of the cartoon issues
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

andyg

Quote from: Offa on June 18, 2023, 10:32:26 PMIs it just me who is sick and tired of the cartoon issues

Without those cartoon issues, the Kew Gardens 50p would be worth a fraction of it's current price.
Whatever we think of them, there are more collectors about.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offa

Quote from: andyg on June 18, 2023, 11:36:28 PMWithout those cartoon issues, the Kew Gardens 50p would be worth a fraction of it's current price.
Whatever we think of them, there are more collectors about.

The single biggest boost for coin collecting in the UK was the Olympic Games issues, they captured the publics imagination

augsburger

Quote from: Offa on June 19, 2023, 10:40:24 AMThe single biggest boost for coin collecting in the UK was the Olympic Games issues, they captured the publics imagination

Thing is the Olympic coins were announced and most newspapers didn't care, half didn't even report them, the other half put them on page 10 or something.

The Mint learned from this, you need to create desire to buy, and this usually comes with people thinking they're going to make a huge profit because the coin is going to be super R@RE. Of course, they'll almost never be super rare and if you buy every coin, you simply won't make money even if a coin does become kind of rare.

But people in general don't know this, but they get all excited and start buying pointless rubbish, and the Mint makes money from this.

Figleaf

Augsburger is quite right. Funnily, the Canadians went through exactly the same experience. The mid 1970 series of Olympic coins flopped and they learned the wrong lesson: create hot air to sell rubbish. The British apparently learned nothing from that experience.

While blowing hot air will work short-term, in the long run, it creates increasing amounts of disappointed people so you need to produce increasing amounts of rubbish to make up for the disappointed who left the market.

In addition, since the current crop of British royals is largely through producing offspring and the new crop is too young to take up the slack or even get married, you have to deal with a lack of valid subjects for commemoratives. The solution of abandoning the concept of commemoratives in favour of producing expensive saccharine pictures in metal is just another short-term fix that will produce another crop of disappointed customers.

A business model that relies on turning off its customers is bound to fail in the medium term.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

MCz

50 pence Star Wars - R2-D2 and C-3PO

krishna

Quote from: Offa on June 19, 2023, 10:40:24 AMThe single biggest boost for coin collecting in the UK was the Olympic Games issues, they captured the publics imagination
very fascinating , one of the best issues ever

It truly fulfils the purpose of a commemorative coin, i.e. to inspire the public to take up a cause, here sports

Launching star wars coin is just like scrapping the bread with the knife, there is no butter left to spread. Even George Lucas would get bankrupt collecting all the variants of star wars minted by so many mints till now.

What are people or the collectors going to draw from this issue; how to operate a light saber?

Deeman

Quote from: <k> on June 16, 2023, 03:36:45 PMWhat is the British connection with Star Wars?

I think the answer to your question is that the series celebrates the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, The Return of the Jedi, which was directed by Richard Alfred Marquand, a Welsh film and television director active in both US and UK film productions, who was best known for directing the final film in the original Star Wars trilogy.

Deeman

Quote from: eurocoin on June 16, 2023, 01:07:05 PMFurther coins that will be released this year:
50 pence The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Does anybody know if this issue is connected to an anniversary?

Alan71

Quote from: Deeman on July 06, 2023, 08:34:07 PMDoes anybody know if this issue is connected to an anniversary?
CS Lewis died in November 1963 (and was also born in November 1898, so 125 years) so I'm assuming that's the anniversary.  I wouldn't say either 60 years or 125 years are particularly significant anniversaries though, but I don't think they care about that anymore.  It's a case of what tat can we stick on a coin?

Offa

Quote from: Alan71 on July 06, 2023, 10:02:53 PMCS Lewis died in November 1963 (and was also born in November 1898, so 125 years) so I'm assuming that's the anniversary.  I wouldn't say either 60 years or 125 years are particularly significant anniversaries though, but I don't think they care about that anymore.  It's a case of what tat can we stick on a coin?

A man after my own heart

Deeman