Clyde Navigation Halfpenny varieties

Started by artsmith, February 15, 2022, 01:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artsmith

Two varieties of the Clyde Navigation Halfpenny Ferries Ticket. Both Brass. 27.6mm. One has two stars for ornaments and the other two six lobed ornaments. The one with two stars has smaller lettering and is also thin-1.0mm thick and has a plain edge. The one with six lobes ornament is 1.41mm thick and has a reeded edge. Listed as UKS 420 FI in the Smith catalog.

Figleaf

Two types, rather than varieties, because of the different edge, I would argue. There are further differences, such as the horizontal size of the oval with the word FERRIES inside and the circle around the anchor: rope or solid. Look also at the alignment of the tips of the anchor with the word NAVIGATION, a clear indication that another font was used.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

These are nice tokens, artsmith. Do you know when they were used? The halfpenny denomination seems to date them back quite awhile.

Bruce
Always Faithful

artsmith

Thanks Bruce.
I think they were probably in use in 1860's-1870's. I believe the ferries started in 1865.

Art

brandm24

That's even older than I thought, Art. Thanks.

Bruce
Always Faithful