Author Topic: Humayun, Shahrukhi, Agra Mint, AH 944  (Read 1479 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Humayun, Shahrukhi, Agra Mint, AH 944
« on: December 27, 2009, 03:03:32 AM »
This one is a Shahrukhi of Humayun, the only one in my collection and as is usual, the edges are well worn. Is it possible to attribute it?

What caused the edge wear an most Shahrukhi's of Babur & Humayun as most coins of these emperors that I have come across have such wear?

Amit
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 06:28:29 PM by Rangnath »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: Humayun, Shahrukhi. Please help attribute.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:24:07 AM »
I agree Amit. Nearly all that I've seen are worn at the edges.
This is a lovely example.
richie

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:18:31 AM »
Dear Amit, the edges are not worn, but never received the impression of the die. Almost uncirculated specimen look similar. This may be due to the to the somewhat careless way of striking the coins, but most probably due to the shape of the dies.

It is not unlikely that they made the top of the dies slightly bulging. This will insure them that the centre impression (including the Kalima and the rulers name) is on the flan. When absolutely flat dies were used the would after a prolonged period of use become somewhat concave. By making the top slightly bulging it would serve two purposes. The most important part of the legend is usual shown (even when carelessly struck) and the dies may last longer.

An other explanation may also be the process of making the flans. By making flans for coins, the minters would cut pieces from silver rods or bars and hammered them flat. In the final process of hammering they want a nice round flan and therefore more hammering took place on the edge of the flan. The result is that the edge is slightly thinner than the centre of the flan. When struck between the dies the coins get this peculiar appearance typical for many coins of this series.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
To add to it: The mint is Agra and the date AH944.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 05:31:14 PM »
Oesho,
Thanks for the detailed explanation on the wear or missing inscription on these coins as well as the attribution.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"