News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Coins that are on your wishlist... but probably will never be on your collection

Started by Tirant, February 03, 2022, 03:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirant

Hi people,

All we know that collecting coins (as well as tokens, banknotes, stamps, etc. ) is a hobby with a very wide range of stuff. There are cheap items, affordable for most collectors, and exclusive jewels that we'll only see in museums or rich people's private collections. Let's talk about these last ones. Because dreaming is fun (and free, at least by now) let's talk about those coins / tokens / banknotes / or whatever you collect that you'd love to have in your collections, but for one reason or another, they will probably never be.

Here are mine (just a few) :

Ramon Berenguer I of Barcelona, denier:

This little b*st*rd was sold for a five digit number (in euros). Only three known specimens.

Ramon Berenguer I of Barcelona, gold bilingual mancuso:

Arab imitation coins are not my cup of tea, but the fact that it has the name of one of my all-time favorite rulers in roman letters makes it kinda special for me.

Countess Aurembiaix of Urgell, denier:

Probably the most affordable one of my impossible wishlist, but still unaffordable for me, so i guess i'll never have a coin of one of my favorite female characters of the middle ages.

Jaime I the conqueror, gros from Montpellier:

The only bigger-than-denier size silver coin from my favorite king is as unreachable as all the others on this list.

Gold maravedi from the kingdom of Leon. Fernando II:

Or Alfonso IX:

I don't care if it's either the father or the son; both are beautiful, both are majestic, and both are... unreachable for me.

Enrique II of Castilla y Leon, gold Dobla:

The epythome of the middle ages. With its raging knight riding a horse and handling his sword, this is just what medieval coins are supposed to be.

France, Louis XII, écu aux porcs-épics:

The only non spanish coin and also the only non medieval, but i fell in love with those porcupines when i saw them at first time.

That's all! Of course i could keep going on, and on, and on, because my impossible wishlist is as never ending as it's the numismathic. But those are, probably, the most special ones.

What about you? Don't be shy and tell us yours!

Regards,
Tirant

Offa

All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

Figleaf

This design was rejected by Adolf's Reichskommissar for the Netherlands, an Austrian by the name of Seyss-Inquart. He wrote the symbol was not Germanic but "Kitsch" (despicable fake). A boatload had already been struck and almost all were re-melted. Apparently the Reichskommissar had little use for reading and writing. Later in the year, a stamp with the same symbol was issued without a comment from Seyss-Inquart. A dictator's henchman's folly.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offa

All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

Tirant

Quote from: Figleaf on February 03, 2022, 11:01:27 PM
This design was rejected by Adolf's Reichskommissar for the Netherlands, an Austrian by the name of Seyss-Inquart. He wrote the symbol was not Germanic but "Kitsch" (despicable fake). A boatload had already been struck and almost all were re-melted. Apparently the Reichskommissar had little use for reading and writing. Later in the year, a stamp with the same symbol was issued without a comment from Seyss-Inquart. A dictator's henchman's folly.

Peter

Interesting, i didn't know that story.

We can discover many "holy grails" here!