Author Topic: Jaunpur Sultanate: Nasir al-Din Mahmud Shah (AH 844–861;1440-1457 AD), Tanka  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Jaunpur Sultanate: Nasir al-Din Mahmud Shah (AH 844–861;1440-1457 AD), Billon Tanka of 80 Ratti, AH845, NM, R2713, Goron J12

Info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaunpur_Sultanate

Mass=9.6 g

Obverse Mahmud Shah Bin Ibrahim Shah Sultani Khulidat Mamlakatahu (Mahmud Shah, Son of Sultan Ibrahim Shah, (may his) Kingdom be perpetuated)

Reverse Al-Khalifa Amir Al-Momenin Khulidat Khilafatahu (The Caliph, Commader of the Faithful, (may his) Caliphate be perpetuated)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:36:00 PM by capnbirdseye »

Offline Medalstrike

• जर्मनी Германия ألمانيا גרמניה
Very nice Overlord,
today I also received a Tanka from Mahmud Shah, with date AH851.

Dietmar
The third side of a medal rests in the eye of the beholder

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Both are lovely coins!  Thanks for posting them.
richie

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
I've resurrected this old thread rather than starting a new one  ;D

I've been comparing my version of the coin against the two above, it looks like the obverse legend is in a different arrangement to mine, also there is no Mahmud above Ibrahim ? Is my coin perhaps wrongly attributed years ago & is a coin of Mahmuds father, Ibrahim Shah ?   

the date on mine doesn't show up clearly on the photo but it looks very like 849 which wouldn't fit for Ibrahim

weight 9.43g
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:04:20 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Yes, this is a 80-Rati Tanka of Shams Al-Din Ibrahim Shah, G&G J6.

The year isn't very clear but looks like (8)39 to me from the photo. But, with the coin in hand, you would be in a better position to tell that.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Thanks overlord,
It probably is a three in the date now I look with the coin tilted towards the light,  then it would fit Ibrahim,   it's original ticket says  Mahmud Shah, no date, but on spotting your superb caligraphy drawing I started to clear away the virdigris to expose the date,
Vic