Sultan of Dehli
Suris
Sher Shah Suri
AR Rupee (AH 947)
Janapanah type
Weight: 11.36 gm
Dia: 24.36 mm
G&G# D809

Quoting G&G.. "These coins were probably struck at or in the area of Shergarh in Bihar"

Obv.
Within square: Sher Shah al-sultan khallada allah mulkahu wa sultanhu 947

Rev.
Within square: Shahada in the main field and al-sultan al-adil below Shahada

Regards
Soumen
Soumen

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

soumen

Quote from: Figleaf on February 11, 2019, 01:59:49 PM
Eye-pleasing coin. Why is it called Janapanah type?

Peter

Thanks Peter.

As per GG these coins are probably struck in the area of Shergarh in Bihar.
But there is no mint name in these type of coin instead of darb jahanpanah struck in the left margin of the obv.

Regards
Soumen
Soumen

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

S. M. Iftekhar Alam

Jahanpanah type coins of both Sher Shah & Islam Shah don't bear any mint name. In Persian Jahan means world/universe and panah means shelter/refuge/asylum. By combining these two words we get Jahanpanah which means shelter of the world which is indirectly referred to the kingdom of the ruler. Thus the status of the kingdom/state has been elevated to a high level. If anyone has any other explanation then please share in this forum for our knowledge.

~Iftekhar

soumen

Quote from: S. M. Iftekhar Alam on March 13, 2019, 06:14:27 PM
Jahanpanah type coins of both Sher Shah & Islam Shah don't bear any mint name. In Persian Jahan means world/universe and panah means shelter/refuge/asylum. By combining these two words we get Jahanpanah which means shelter of the world which is indirectly referred to the kingdom of the ruler. Thus the status of the kingdom/state has been elevated to a high level. If anyone has any other explanation then please share in this forum for our knowledge.

~Iftekhar

Nice piece of information, Iftekhar. Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Soumen
Soumen

S. M. Iftekhar Alam

Dear friends, here I am making a correction to my previous explanation about jahanpanah.  Though not visible on this particular piece of coin but the usual legend on the margin in obverse of this type is "Jalal al-duniya wa al-din abu al-muzaffar jahanpanah". So, Jahanpanh is a title for the king. It is not an indirect reference to the kingdom as mentioned by me in my earlier reply on this topic. Rather, the ruler took the title as "the shelter of the world".
Thanks,
~Iftekhar   

shiblius

The coin in the original post is GG-D801.
The left obverse margin has the mint name partly visible (سیرکرہ. the name is writted without diacritical marks for the letter SH, and the G is also inscribed similar to K).
While Jahanpanah is a title used by monarchs as indicated by Iftekhar bhai, it was also the name of a walled city that was remodeled by the Tughlaqs in the South of Dehli.