Author Topic: Tughluq Sultan of Dehli, D0D475, Daulat Khan Lodhi , Hazrat Dehli, BI Tanka, AH816  (Read 193 times)

Offline sarwar khan

• Meritorious Member
By AD 1398, Taimur had already carved out for himself an extensive empire in Central Asia and further West, He then decided to invaded India and was soon able to find a casus belli. He invaded via the Punjab slaughtering thousand on his way and arrived in front of Delhi in December of that year. A fierce battle on the following day resulted in Mahmud defeated and flight.

Taimur and his Army enter the city and their proceeded to cause terrible desolation and slaughter. Huge amounts of booty were taken and the Sacked. He then returned the way he at come continuing his plundering and slaughter .
After taimur's departure and chaos & confusion prevailed over much of the northern India.

Delhi was all but depopulated. The Provinces seceded to form independent states and various small principality also arose. Nusrat shah re-enter Delhi as Sultan but he was again driving away by Mallu Iqbal Khan . The latter Administered the capital and managed to recover some control over parts of the Doab. He could not however, recover Jaunpur .

In AD 1401, Mallu invited Mahmud back to the capital . He returned but did not like to be under his minister's control and soon found an opportunity to flee to Kanauj where the Sultan of Jaunpur allowed him to stay.

Mallu made several more attempts to recover territory but was in due course killed during a campaign. On Mallu's khan death Mahmud again returned to Delhi this time under the control of daulat khan Lodi. By his this time, however the Delhi sultanate had control only over the doab, Rohtak and Sambal, Khidr khan, who controlled the Punjab, having captured many other places. In AD 1409 -10 khidr khan twice attacked Firuzabad and even Delhi itself but had to retire for lack of supplies. Mahmud died AD 1412/13 & with ended the Tughluq dynasty. The nobles of the court offered the throne to Daulat Khan Lodi and he accepted AD 1413 . But khidr Khan received increasing support, soon made his way to Delhi and invested the city. After a Siege, daulat khan surrendered the khidr khan took possession of Delhi and founded the dynasty known as the Sayyids

Details about the Coin :-
Sultan :- Daulat khan lodi (1413 - 14 AD)
Denomination :- Billion Tanka
Refer :- G&G D647
Minted at Hazrat Dehli
Rarity :- Scarce!!
(But it's more than Scarces )
Issue year :- 816 AH

Foot note :- No coins are known in the name of Daulat Khan Lodhi but there are posthumous coins INO Firoz Shah Tughlaq (same as D476) bearing his reign date i.e AH 816

I posted the coin with Superb Overlay [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

I posted with Overlay [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my M2007J17I using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:10:22 AM by Saikat »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Interesting point you raise here on the dating of this type.
This was a difficult time after Dehli was sacked by Timur. One of the reactions to this seems to have been the minting of posthumous coins in name of Firuz Shah, just distinguished by the date.
Searching for the Firuz Shah prototype you mention D476, but that has the name of caliph abu 'abd Allah. So i would rather go for D475 which has amir al-mu'minin like on your specimen?

Anthony

Offline sarwar khan

• Meritorious Member
Interesting point you raise here on the dating of this type.
This was a difficult time after Dehli was sacked by Timur. One of the reactions to this seems to have been the minting of posthumous coins in name of Firuz Shah, just distinguished by the date.
Searching for the Firuz Shah prototype you mention D476, but that has the name of caliph abu 'abd Allah. So i would rather go for D475 which has amir al-mu'minin like on your specimen?

Anthony
Thanks THCoins for point out my mistake , posthumous coin was very confusing for me . In this coins only with the help of AH we identify the ruler!! [emoji5][emoji5]

Once again Thanks Dear Sir THCoins for you help & support [emoji123][emoji123]

Sent from my M2007J17I using Tapatalk

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
I think the mistake was not yours in the first place. Now i look at it again it is confusing.
Your coin is G&G D647, that was perfectly right. But you refered to the posthumous coins INO Firoz Shah Tughlaq (same as D476) . And that is incorrect and should be D475 i think. But looking at the page in G&G, the error is also made there as it states "As type D476."
And it seems that Ansari repeats this error with the coin he presents on Zeno here.
But this is D476:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 08:38:04 PM by THCoins »