News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

History Of Awadh Nawab Shuja ud daula through it's Coin

Started by sarwar khan, August 08, 2021, 07:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarwar khan

Shuja-ud-daula (AD 1754-1775), He was the son of Safdar Jung and was ally of the Afghan Ahmed Shah Abdali.He stayed mostly at Faizabad. Shuja-ud-Daula is also known to have assisted the famous Alivardi Khan on various occasions when the territories of the Nawab of Bengal, were being ravaged by Raghoji I Bhonsle and his Maratha renegades. Thus Shuja-ud-Daula is known to have been a very respected figure among the servicemen of Alivardi Khan.

He supported Mir kasim in the Battle of Buksar in 1764 but was defeated, which compelled him to enter into a treaty with the East India Company, in addition to payment of 50 lakh of rupees. This was the advent of British on the soils of Awadh. The 1st British resident Mr Middleton entered the court of Nawab Wazier in 1773. Safdar Jung was a restless, impulsive and ambitious ruler who not only brought violent disturbances but also momentous vicissitudes for his regime.

From the time of Shuja-ud-daula onwards, the Nawabs surrendered their independence little by little, over the coming years. To pay for the protection of British forces and assistance in war, Awadh gave up first the fort of Chunar, then districts of Benaras, Ghazipur and finally AIlahabad.He annexed Rohilkhnad to Awadh in AD 1774 by defeating Rohillas with the help of British.By this help of Awadh british government made a two agreements regulating relations between the British government of Bengal and the ruler of the Muslim state of Oudh . The defense of Oudh had been guaranteed in 1765 on the condition that the state's ruler, Shujaʿ al-Dawlah, pay the cost of the necessary troops. The Treaty of Banaras (1775) is otherwise known as the Treaty of Faizabad. It was forced on the new vizier of Oudh by the company's governing council after the death of Shujāʿ. The vizier had to pay a larger subsidy for the use of British troops and cede Banaras (now Varanasi) to the East India Company.

As Shuja-ud-daula functioned from Faizabad, he paid a lot of attention towards beautification and development of the town of Faizabad. Shuja-ud-daula's wife Bahu Begum, was a woman of great distinction and rank, who contributed significantly towards the growth and consolidation of her husband's government. During the days of Shuja-ud-daula, Faizabad attained a prosperity, which it never saw again.
Shuja-ud-daula died in 1774 and was laid to rest at his mau

Details about the coins :-
Ruler :- Shuja ud Daula (1754 - 75 AD)
INO Mughal Empire Shah Alam II
Denomination :- Falus
Minted at Dar al Falus Muhammadabad ( Banares )
Rarity :- Rare !!
Obv :-Muhammadabad Dar al Falus (Banaras)
Rev :- Shah Alam baadshah ghazi
Issue Year :- 1770 - 75AD
Condition :- Very fine

Foot note :-
The Coins with epithet ' Dar al Falus ' are Awadh issue , It's Struck between 1770 - 75 AD , ie. The final year of Shuja ud daula & Just before the transfer of Banaras to the EIC .

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Figleaf

Thank you, SK. I find the epithet dar al falus interesting. Is it to be understood as adobe of copper coins, i.e. mint town? As you know, today, Varanasi is better known for its important role as a city of temples and funerals. I shall never forget being rowed upstream there when the Ganges was high (note the trees standing in the water.) The rowers seemed to be all muscle. I have rowed myself and realise how difficult their job was.

I am also struck by the difference in your description of Shuja-ud-Daula and his wife Bahu Begum. Did she have a large influence in her husband's government?

Your gallery of pictures is a vivid illustration of the importance of comparing several specimen in order to understand the whole die. Your picture will undoubtedly help many present and future members.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.