News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Say what?

Started by brandm24, July 24, 2021, 11:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

Apparently, the oldest person who ever lived...or a well aged bottle of wine. ??? Any ideas?

Bruce
Always Faithful

THCoins

Looks to be stamped on an original William the third British Farthing or Halfpenny.
Why on earth someone would do that in the 19th century, i have no idea.

Figleaf

William III fell off his horse in 1701. The horse survived, Bill didn't. Nevertheless, I think the date 1701 relates to the date on the coin.

The second date is of course the key to the puzzle. My take is that the age refers to an animal, rather than a human. The prime suspect for such an age is a turtle, with a documented record life span of 255 years. As Gershwin put it in "Porgy and Bess":

"But who calls that livin'
When no gal will give in
To no man what is 900 years"

As we can see from UK tokens, zoos and curiosity collections started to come about in the 19th century. I could imagine how this piece was sold to early day trippers as a souvenir of seeing a 154 year old living creature. Yes, I know, some trees can get much older.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

I forgot to mention that the coin is a Halfpenny.

The age of something in a zoo or or circus is a possibility but it seems likely that it would be a little more neatly done and include the name or logo of the issuer for  advertising purposes.

You're right about the age of trees, Peter. At 154 years a giant sequoia or redwood would still be a sapling. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

Henk

Perhaps the coin was found in circulation in 1855 and the stamping was done in amazement of finding such an old coin!

brandm24

Another possibility, Henk. I've found that many people are fascinated by old coins...not bbecause they're interested in collecting but because of the age of the coin. Something to consider. Thanks.

Bruce
Always Faithful

FosseWay

Quote from: Henk on July 24, 2021, 02:09:41 PM
Perhaps the coin was found in circulation in 1855 and the stamping was done in amazement of finding such an old coin!

My thoughts exactly. As I understand it, until the issue of the bronze coinage (1860) and the withdrawal of the copper some years later, all sorts of junk circulated, including regal but very old copper. The existence of a William III halfpenny in circulation in 1855 would not therefore in itself have been that uncommon, but finding an identifiable one with a legible date probably was worthy of comment.