Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan, AE Fals, Damascus

Started by derek, July 06, 2021, 04:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

17 mm

aws22

Dear derek, the style of your coin is Umayyad type:
Umayyad, Caliph Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan, AE Fals, Damascus mint (AH 73-77/692-696 AD)
Obverse (First photo): bordered by two parallel outer circles that are connected from the inside by five smaller circles in the shape of a group of the letter " mım م "  in Arabic.
Field:
لا اله  , La Ilah
الا الله  , Illa Allah
وحده لا شريك له  , Wahdahu La Sharik Lahu
There is no God but Allah – Allah alone – there is no partner with Him.
Reverse (Second photo): bordered by two parallel outer circles with five smaller circles in the shape of a group of the letter " mım م " in Arabic.
Field:
محمد  , Muhammad
رسول  , Rasul
الله  , Allah
Margin: not visible:
....... بسم الله ضرب هذا الفلس بدمشق
In the name of Allah, this coin was struck in Damascus ........

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

derek

Dear Maythem,
ncredible,  both coins same ruler . I bought them seperate.  thank you very much for clearing this so fast. Great information!
Thank you very much!
Regards Derek

shiblius

So the obverse does not have 'wahdahu la sharika lahu'. It is actually "La Ilaha / (I)lla Allah" and then followed by possibly a mint name which I could not read but looks like: '...ب ع'.
From the legend construction looks like an early Umayyad fals but hard to pin down unless the mint or whatever the last line on the obverse says can be read.

aws22

Thank you shiblius for noticing that. In fact the third line is the mint name " Baalbek بعلبك " now in Lebanon. So that the ID changes to:
Umayyad, Caliph Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan, AE Fals, Baalbek mint (AH 73-77/692-696 AD)
Obverse (First photo): bordered by two parallel outer circles that are connected from the inside by five smaller circles in the shape of a group of the letter " mım م "  in Arabic.
Field:
لا اله  , La Ilah
الا الله  , Illa Allah
بعلبك , Baalbek
There is no God but Allah – Baalbek (mint place).

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

derek