Author Topic: New reverses for British coins  (Read 11195 times)

translateltd

Re: New reverses for British coins
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2008, 11:10:01 AM »
Well said, Virginia - hear, hear, on that one.

I'm not sure the criticism of the values being spelt out in words is particularly valid, though - the US has done that with hardly any exceptions for centuries now!  "Foreigners" who haven't mastered the numbers from one to fifty - surely the first things that anyone would learn in a new culture - must be pretty few and far between.

Martin
NZ

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2008, 11:59:38 AM »
Ms Ironside's article is here http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/i-hate-the-new-coins-my-father-must-be-turning-in-his-grave-805135.html by the way. Note that she is a journalist, and has a (weekly, I think) column in the Independent - so this is not a case of "let's ask the daughter of the previous designer what she thinks about the new guy" ...

As for the values not being numeric, umm, doesn't everybody in the world speak English? ::) Actually, for countries with just one language, I don't think that is a major issue - many British pre-decimal coins have the value in words only. What I do find a little surprising though is that, with regard to the penny/pence coins, the UK's first decimal pieces used digits only, then it was both words and digits, and now it's back to words only.

Christian

translateltd

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 09:20:47 PM »
There was a reason for the "words and digits" arrangement, however: don't forget that the original Ironside designs were created to allow for the word NEW, as in NEW PENCE.  When the decimal coins were no longer "new", *something* had to take the place of the word NEW to maintain a balance, so the word representing the value was put there instead.  In the case of ONE, TWO and TEN, they didn't even need to change the number of letters required :-)

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 11:53:27 AM »
So ar I have only received the new 5p, but I believe both the 1p and 2p have been seen.
The obverse of the new designs no longer has beading, because neither do the reverses. As a result, the obverse inscription on my 5p seems to be weakly struck.  Whether this is just a weak strike or a potential design problem remains to be seen.

I must scan it and put it on my website

BC Numismatics

New reverses for British coins.
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
Tony,
  Do you know if the coins with the old designs,but dated 2008,are in circulation as well?

Aidan.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 07:30:22 PM »
With the date "2008" I have had some pieces in change of each denomination 1p, 2p and 5p, all for each of the new and old designs (6 types altogether). No sign of any others yet.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker