Author Topic: German States coin with Unique Features...  (Read 163 times)

Offline mti

German States coin with Unique Features...
« on: April 20, 2021, 08:05:14 PM »
Hello everyone...

I got this coin on eBay... it is slabbed and certified by the National Numismatic Certification...

Information on the slab:
Year: 1774, Denomination: Pfennig, KM-230, State: Brandenburg-Bayreuth...
Metrology of the coin:  0.2g, 11-11.5mm, Billon

Questions about this coin:
1.  I checked Krause catalog - there is no such date listed
2.  The Mint's Official's Initials in the catalog are various but the most common is "CLR", my coin has "two stars" instead of the initials.  They are located above each leg of the Eagle. Krause does not mention "stars"
3.  The Date on my coin: the first two digits are very clear "17", the second pair looks different under different angles:  so I get 45, 49, 55, 64, 65, and with microscope 74... but 74 according to Krause does not exist...
     55 should be a uniface coin (cf. Krause)

So the main question is:  does anyone have another catalog with similar coins:  Perhaps the "two stars above the Eagle's legs on my coin" is the clue to the date...?!!?

Thank you in advance for your help...!!!   =))

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: German States coin with Unique Features...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 08:55:43 PM »
I think the date is 1759 (retrogade 5). Compare the second and third digit. They are not the same. If so, the mark to the left of the eagle's left foot should be CLR, for Christoph Lorenz Ruckdeschel. In 1779, small copper coins were not marked with mint official initials.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline CannedMeat

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 12:51:02 PM »
It looks like a 1774 to me which makes the coin Schön DM# 133, which my notes say isn't listed in KM.

The CLR is for a Bayreuth mint mintmaster, but this coin is listed as being minted in Schwabach (which also produced coins for Brandenburg-Ansbach).

Offline mkm1968

Offline mti

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 05:31:43 PM »
Thank you gentlemen very much for your detailed answers/replies. =))

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2648895

Description from the link above: (it is in German - so google translate it)

DIE LINIE BRANDENBURG-ANSBACH
MARKGRAF CHRISTIAN FRIEDRICH KARL ALEXANDER, IN ANSBACH 1757-1791, IN BAYREUTH 1769-1791
PRÄGUNGEN DES MARKGRAFEN ALEXANDER FÜR DAS FÜRSTENTUM BAYREUTH
Kopfstücke zu 20 Kreuzern, kleinere Nominale und Scheidemünzen des Markgrafen Alexander nach österreichisch-bayerischen Münzkonvention von 1753 und nach dem Rheinischen Fuß für das Fürstentum Bayreuth
Guter Pfennig 1774, Bayreuth. 0,21 g. Münzmeister Johann Christian Eberhardt. Slg. Wilm. 1139; Schön 133.
Vorzüglich

Note: "Schön 133" is German catalog and the coin number.  The google translate will translate it a "Beuatiful 133" but it is "Schön 133"  =))

Have a wonderful the rest of the day...!!!  ;))