Author Topic: Ahmad Shah Durrani, AR Rupee, Shahjahanabad mint, KM# 763  (Read 77 times)

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My blog page on coins
Ahmad Shah Durrani, AR Rupee, Shahjahanabad mint, KM# 763
« on: April 18, 2021, 06:19:11 PM »
This coin was struck during Ahmad's first invasion of Shahjahanabad (Delhi) and 4th invasion of India at the mint of Shahjahanabad (Delhi).
In 1756/57, in what was his fourth invasion of India, Ahmad Shah sacked Delhi and plundered Agra, Mathura, and Vrindavana. Killing thousands of people. However, he did not displace the Mughal dynasty, which remained in nominal control as long as the ruler acknowledged Ahmad's suzerainty over the Punjab, Sindh, and Kashmir. He left the Mughal Emperor, Alamgir II, on the throne as a puppet, and arranged marriages for himself and his son Timur into the Imperial family that same year. He married a daughter of the Mughal emperor Muhammad Shah. Leaving his second son, Timur Shah (who was married to the daughter of Alamgir II), to safeguard his interests. Ahmad finally left India to return to Afghanistan.

Obv : Hukm shod az qadir-e-bechun ba-Ahmad badshah, Sikka zan bar sim wa zar az auj-e-mahi ta ba-mah [Command came from God, the inscrutable, to Ahmad the King, Strike coin on silver and gold from the top of fish (i.e., depths of the sea) to the moon] (11)70

Rev : Sanah 11 Jalus Maimanat Manus Zarb Dar al-Khilafat Shahjahanabad
Mint: Dar Ul Khilafat Shahjahanabad Mint
Wt  : 11.42g
Dia : 22.1 mm
Date: AH (11)70/11 RY
Ref : KM# 763
------------------------------------
Started a blog at https://saikatscoins.blogspot.com/

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Ahmad Shah Durrani, AR Rupee, Shahjahanabad mint, KM# 763
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »

Obv : Hukm shod az qadir-e-bechun ba-Ahmad badshah, Sikka zan bar sim wa zar az auj-e-mahi ta ba-mah [Command came from God, the inscrutable, to Ahmad the King, Strike coin on silver and gold from the top of fish (i.e., depths of the sea) to the moon] (11)70

Superb and scarce coin !  :applause:
 " ازقادر بیچون / شد / باحمد  بادشاه / حکم / زن بر سیم و زر از/ سکه / اوج مای تا بماه : The command issued from the Incomparable Creator to Ahmad the emperor : "strike coin on silver and gold from the height of the Fish to the Moon" "
Different arrangements of legend exist (place of words), the one of your coin is similar to Ahmadshahi rupees.

a detail : "top of Fish to the Moon  اوج مای تا بماه " doesn't refer to the fish in the sea but to the "Fish constellation" to the moon...
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)