Author Topic: Shah Jahan. Rupee. Mint: Ahmedabad. AH1039(9 re-engraved on 8), RY 2, Month:Azar  (Read 93 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
While the coin by itself is not a very special one, it has the date 1039 with the 9 re-engraved over the 8 of an older die.
Similar coins with AH date, RY and Month were issued for a few years from the Ahmedabad mint, starting in 1038 and ending around 1042 or 1043 when the coins with the square area in the center are seen for the first time.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
The attached image highlights the change.

Amit

Offline jaspersaini

Nice job Amit, I have to check all my coins for any such re-engravings :).

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
With a deeper focus on coins of just 4 major Mughal mints now (besides a few other mints during Akbar's reign), my eyes seem to be able to pick out such small differences fairly regularly. May be it is because it is tuned to see a specific design and when something off comes up, the difference flashes in front of my eyes.
However, looking at images, often taken on the mobile, on a small screen (of my phone), I miss out such small or rather minor errors / changes - in this instance, I was fooled in to believing it was dated 1038 / 2 Azar - a combination that could not exist and I bought the coin for that. Only when I took the coin in hand, did I notice the date as 1039 -  a normal date but was fortunate to get the re-engraved date error.

Amit

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I see 03x, but what comes after the three looks like one worn area to me. I believe you, I just can't make it out.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.