Author Topic: Malawi 1 tambala 1995 FAO fantasy?  (Read 345 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Malawi 1 tambala 1995 FAO fantasy?
« on: April 07, 2021, 09:26:32 PM »
In one of the Facebook coin collecting groups a collector was asking about the authenticity of this piece. Apparently it is not listed in any coin catalogs. Does anyone on here know anything about it?

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Malawi 1 tambala 1995 FAO fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 07:33:42 AM »
What is the small circle to the left of the coat of arms?

I ask because it looks rather like the similar circles you get on some plastic tokens and toy coins. I don't know what purpose they serve, but they are a very common feature on such pieces and I presume they are part of the manufacturing process.

Given the origin of the photo, are we sure this is even metal? (Granted, it looks like it from the picture.)

Below is an example of what I mean on a plastic toy coin - see the circle below the right-hand crown on the left picture.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 11:09:59 AM »
I agree: a plastic coin.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »

I ask because it looks rather like the similar circles you get on some plastic tokens and toy coins. I don't know what purpose they serve, but they are a very common feature on such pieces and I presume they are part of the manufacturing process.

Interesting observation. Perhaps you could start a topic in the tokens section, to find out the purpose or origin of these small circles.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »
I have noticed the circle aswell. These are indeed known on plastic objects, amongst which tokens. If I remember correctly, and I likely do, I have also seen them before on metallic tokens though. I have in the meantime received further information. The piece is 28 mm in diameter and is made of metal. The original 1 tambala of Malawi was 17.3 mm.

In the meantime I have also noticed that the same person was asking about a 2019-dated 2 cents piece of Liberia. That clearly must be a fantasy so I assume the piece of Malawi is too.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 04:13:19 AM »

This is  remnant of "gate" which is  the passing point of material, where the injection takes place.
The process by which these pieces are made is known as " injection moulding".
See

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_moulding

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »
This is  remnant of "gate" which is  the passing point of material, where the injection takes place.
The process by which these pieces are made is known as " injection moulding".
See

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_moulding

That explains the circles that I mentioned on plastic tokens, toy money etc. - thank you. But is it relevant for metal? It's been confirmed by eurocoin that this piece is indeed metal, after I and Afrasi cast doubt on it.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 10:06:18 PM »
Powdered metal is commonly used in injection moulding.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 10:22:03 PM »
Aha, OK. That'll be the explanation here then I imagine.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 04:24:49 AM »
Powdered metal is commonly used in injection moulding.

Yes, there is already a link to that.
Very specifically, here it is

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 06:18:48 AM »
The reasons for making this fantasy coin is explained here

https://malawi24.com/2021/04/10/merchants-buying-old-1-tambala-coins-at-mk200-thousand-each-in-mzuzu/

"Business moguls in Mzuzu are buying old 1 tambala coins at a minimum price of MK250 thousand each as the search for the currency goes dire.

In an interview, the merchants, who pleaded for anonymity declined to divulge more information on the rationale for buying such old, almost ‘useless’ coins.

“That is not an issue. We just need the coins. As for the uses, leave that to us,”  said one of them.

The seemingly monied people, mostly, affluent and boastful of being to other continents due to their business success, told this reporter that should someone have old 5 tambala coins instead of the highly demanded 1 tambala coins, they would buy that at MK100 thousand per coin.

“5 tambala coins. The old ones. With a bird with one leg high. Can be bought, anyway, at a lesser price than the pinkish 1 tambala. Those coins are direly needed,” remarked one of the traders.

Separate findings, though rubbished by the vendors in question, indicate that the coins are used in occults.

According to one of the traditional doctors in Mzimba, the coins are paid as sacrifice in some secret societies.

“So, each 1 tambala coin costs about MK1 million there. Most people that are fond of cutting corners flock to such fortune givers,” he said.

“Usually,” added the Sangoma, “Such spiritual fathers are found in Tanzania, Kilimanjaro area.”

Other schools of thought claim that the money is given to some big fishes, the likes of sharks, which vomits gold upon swallowing the coins.

“So, that’s what I know. I’ve been searching the same money for the past years in vain. But, I had a ready client in Zambia who pledged to buy them at MK500 thousand each,” said another cross-border trader.

Much aware that the trade contravenes the Central Banks regulations, the business transactions are carried out in privy, black markets."

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 09:20:26 AM »
Strange story. Not convinced by it all.