News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Great Britain 50 Pence coins from China - are they real?

Started by Hering, April 07, 2021, 06:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hering

Hi,
I found a strange dubious coin set, supposedly issued by the London Mint in 2020. I'd rather think it's a fantasy / fake issue from China, but please have a look at the photos. The diameter seems to be as big as the original 50p coins (I didn't remove it), but the colour is reddish (Copper or Bronze - plated?). They're dedicated to the workers and the fight against Covid-19. The design looks for me similar as the Gibraltar Covid-coin. The Tower Mint didn't reply my question about this set. Maybe anybody knows something about this set?
Thanks!

<k>

The images are very small, Hering. What year is the issue, and what theme does the reverse of the coins show?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Hering

I tried to make the photos bigger, but there is only 128 KB allowed... I'll try to make the coins bigger..

eurocoin

These are fantasy pieces released by the obscure company UK London Mint Ltd. They are not legal tender coins despite of them depicting a denomination. They were not authorized by any government. I was surprised when I first saw these pieces and am of the opinion that their release was illegal. They are too similar to genuine 50 pence coins.

The company UK London Mint Ltd. was in March 2020 registered in London and is owned by Chinese people. And the Chinese are known to not take intellectual property and coinage laws very serious. As far as I know this is first and only time that this company has released a coin-like object.

Hering

Quote from: eurocoin on April 07, 2021, 07:16:20 PM
These are fantasy pieces released by the obscure company UK London Mint Ltd. They are not legal tender coins despite of them depicting a denomination. I was very surprised when I first saw these pieces. I am of the opinion that they are fully illegal.

The company UK London Mint Ltd. is registered in London and owned by Chinese people. And the Chinese are known to not take intellectual property and coinage laws very serious.

Yes, that's why I'm asking. For me it seems illegal to depict a denomination and the portrait of the Queen on a fantasy coin. There are few coins in the style of a 50p coin, but without denomination. Interesting, I didn't know, that UK London Mint Ltd. is owned  by Chinese people. Know I understand, why I didn't get any reply, because I wrote to London Mint Office of the Tower Mint, but they're different companies with similar names... Clever, maybe I'm not the only one, who didn't understand this very important difference! Thanks!

eurocoin

You are welcome. Quality-wise they indeed do not look good. I haven't seen them being advertised in the UK but apparently there was an advertisement for these pieces in The Standard newspaper of Hong Kong. So that seems to be the market they are aiming at.

Hering

No, I don't like the design, too. I just bought the set because of interest and as an example of impertinence. It wasn't very expensive. And they aren't the only ugly coins in my collection.  ;)