Author Topic: Thomas Church / Canadian Numismatist  (Read 135 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Thomas Church / Canadian Numismatist
« on: March 03, 2021, 01:56:21 PM »
Here's an interesting personal token issued by Canadian numismatist Thomas Church. Church was a founding member of the Otawa Numismatic Society in 1891. Apparently, the token dates to the 1890's according to references quoted by the seller.

Interestingly, it seems to be overstruck on another coin or token. At 5 O'clock to the right of the crossed maple leaves there's the remainder of an undertype. It looks like "76" to me. I can't make out any more elsewhere on the planchet. Does anyone have any ideas?

Unfortunately, the diameter and weight aren't listed.

Bruce

Images courtesy of eBay (stevehayden)
Always Faithful

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Re: Thomas Church / Canadian Numismatist
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 02:43:19 PM »
I read that Church did indeed strike over existing coins or tokens. The design details you mention are part of the die though. I guess they got worn over time. They form the date 1894. See for example the variant below.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 03:27:23 PM »
I see the 94 now. The example you show is clearer and includes denticles that don't show on "mine." The dies doesn't exhibit the best workmanship. Do you know who struck the tokens by chance?

Thanks for the info, eurocoin.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 03:47:20 PM »
Mr Thomas Church struck the tokens himself with self-made dies. In the beginning they were crude but later he was apparently able to make professional medals. More information about him and his medals can be found here.