Author Topic: Byzantine Folis, Constans II?  (Read 201 times)

Offline goldenage

Byzantine Folis, Constans II?
« on: April 05, 2021, 10:58:47 PM »
Hello, I don't know if this post belongs here, but as these coins also circulated in early islamic areas I will try it here. It is my first byzantine coin.
Am I right with Constans II? (641-668) And can someone read the script of the coin? And how long these coins circulated in Arabia and can we say that in the beginning time of Islam these coins were used by the arabs in Mecca, Yathrib, Taif etc. as there were always trade routes from Damascus to Mecca and Yemen.
Thanks for your help:)

Offline otlichnik

Re: Byzantine Folis, Constans II?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 11:41:32 PM »
You have the correct identification.

It is from the Constantinople mint, sear #1004.

It has ANA down the left side and NEOZ in the exergue. 

Sadly the year numerals on the right side are not visible.

SC

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 12:20:02 AM »
The obverse reads: InPЄ[R] - COnSt.

I think it is unlikely (though just possible) that this type of coin would have got as far south as Mecca, etc. I believe that that area was more in the Sasanian monetary area, but I would be interested to know if Byzantine copper circulated there.

Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 10:17:10 AM »
If you have trouble finding the right board, just do a search. Searching from the main page for "byzantine" gives you 19 pages of hits, most on the board "Christian world". If the searches are not helpful, you can also use the board "Where does this go?" and look where your posts ends up. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline goldenage

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 04:39:06 PM »
Thank you for the answers. It would be really interesting to know more about the circulation area of these coins.
And thank you Peter for the indication, I will try it next time :)

Offline otlichnik

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 11:29:17 PM »
You can find some interesting information in the thesis CRITICAL AND COMPARATIVE STUDY OF EARLY ARABIAN COINS ON THE BASIS OF ARABIC TEXTUAL EVIDENCE AND ACTUAL FINDS, by Abd al-Aziz, University of Leeds.

at this link

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/43363.pdf

SC

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 09:41:15 AM »
Thank you very much for that reference, just the sort of thing we need. I've had a quick look at it, and it seems some Byzantine copper HAS been found not far from Mecca, but I will have to read more thoroughly to find exactly what types.

Alan

Offline goldenage

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 01:36:11 PM »
Thank you very otlichnik!! :D Exactly what I was searching for. Fantastic work. Maybe you can post it in the "Islamic World" post, I think it would be helpful for many people because there is not much reaserch on this topic.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 03:21:10 PM »
Not necessary. The thesis is now available from the WoC bookshelf.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.