Author Topic: League Island, Pennsylvania, rare tokens  (Read 211 times)

Offline Alex Island

• World of Islands
  • Honorary Member
  • All islands around the world
League Island, Pennsylvania, rare tokens
« on: November 06, 2020, 02:16:00 PM »
Rare tokens, League Island - Pennsylvania

League Island was an island in the Delaware River, part of the city of Philadelphia, just upstream from the mouth of the Schuylkill River, which was the site of the Philadelphia shipyard, which eventually became the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, now known as The Navy Yard. League Island no longer exists as an island, since the Back Channel, which separated it from the mainland, was closed at the eastern end to create land for Mustin Field, a military airfield that was closed in 1963. The western end of the channel became the present Reserve Basin, which holds the ships of the U.S. Navy's reserve fleet.

League Island map
All islands around the world & islands coin

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: League Island, Pennsylvania, rare tokens
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 09:26:45 PM »
The Philadelphia Naval Shipyard is the oldest in the country, though it's mostly civilian today. The last time I was there they still maintained a propellor shop and other support offices. The moth ball fleet is pretty impressive and can be seen from above when driving past on I-95 from the bridge just north of the airport.

I got a chuckle out of the two barber tokens...5 cents for a shave. I think I have a couple of shipyard tokens somewhere, but they're probably buried under a bunch of other stuff. When I get a chance, I'll look through everything.Brings back memories, Alex.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 09:59:14 PM »
I found this League Island Ferry Co. token. I'm not sure how old itis, but there was a similar one in white metal dated 1954. The ferry serviced the Navy Yard, League Island and Hog Island.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 10:08:17 PM »
I found some information about the Marine Barracks on League Island that might help date your first two tokens. The Barracks were built in 1901 and is still occupied today as part of the continuing naval prescence there (The Marine Corps is part of the Naval Department).

At least we know it's not pre-1901. I would think 1910 to 1920 because of the style and value.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Alex Island

• World of Islands
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 10:13:31 PM »
I found this League Island Ferry Co. token. I'm not sure how old itis, but there was a similar one in white metal dated 1954.

I found only four photos of tokens, the third is the same, and the fourth dates from 1979:

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 11:39:41 AM »
Polaris must be the name of their boat. I wonder if it was still called the League Island Ferry Co. at that point. I could be wrong about the 1954 date on my token but that's the closest I could come to dating it.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 11:22:54 AM »
Just came across this Philadelphia Navy Yard token...probably a tool check. It looks fairly old so may have been around in the "League Island days."

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »
The moth ball fleet is pretty impressive and can be seen from above when driving past on I-95 from the bridge just north of the airport.

With Google maps you can get up close. I hit upon the mothballed collection of US navy Perry class guided missile frigates (FFG) going down Constitution Avenue in Philadelphia. Impressive indeed.

BTW, it ain't an island any more.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 07:51:17 PM »
When you're driving south on I-95 as you're passing the Navy Yard and approaching the airport you get an even better view. The bridge, blandly named the I-95 Bridge, gives you a birdseye view. It is indeed impressive.

Even more so is the view of the moored battleship New Jersey across the Delaware River in New Jersey.  It's moored about midway between two major bridges crossing the river. You can only see it from a distance, but still a sight to remember.

BTW, it ain't an island any more.

Don't tell Alex. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Alex Island

• World of Islands
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 01:40:23 PM »
Another rare token was found:

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 02:20:27 PM »
You're coming up with a lot of these, Alex. An interesting series.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Alex Island

• World of Islands
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 09:33:37 PM »
Yes, this is an interesting series:  8)