Author Topic: FAO Coin Sets on Ebay  (Read 181 times)

Offline mrbrklyn

FAO Coin Sets on Ebay
« on: April 02, 2021, 05:26:13 AM »
Hello - I hope you don't mind me borrowning my fathers account.  I am wondereing is anyway can determine if these are fake.  I brought them as presents from ebay from a dealer in italy

http://images.mrbrklyn.com/coins/FOA_Set/

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ยท UK
Re: FAO Coin Sets on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 08:22:49 AM »
Why do you think these might be fake?
From the pictures they look good to me.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline mrbrklyn

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 08:38:30 AM »
https://fao-coins.info/faofake/forgeries.html

The shine of the face, and softness of the details of the 20 Ruppee Coin - and see the space in the '9' in 1973.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 10:37:43 AM »
I agree with andyg. Genuine until otherwise shown. The finish is I would expect from an Indian coin of this period. The detail is fine. There is currently a specimen on eBay. here.

The only oddity is the gap in the loop of the 9 and possibly in the end of the tail. This could well be dirty die syndrome (also known as filled die). It is usually found in a small design detail near the edge. It occurs when a die is not thoroughly cleaned after repeated use: tiny particles of dirt and oil collect in small, hard to reach places. The oil attracts more dirt and using the die compacts the dirt into a hard mass. The process continues until either the die is cleaned properly or the detail is gone and only a faint shadow of it remains on the coin.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:08:18 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.