Author Topic: Rotated Dies - Pfennig of Brunswick-Lüneberg-Calenberg-Hannover  (Read 114 times)

Offline CameronK

• Why? I coax stories out of unidentified coins.
Hello! I picked up this well worn Wildman pfennig last weekend while travelling. I noticed the dies are rotated 45 degrees. Can anyone comment on whether this is common, and whether it would be considered a plus or minus on the coin?

Thanks for all opinions!
Why? I coax stories out of unidentified coins.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Rotated Dies - Pfennig of Brunswick-Lüneberg-Calenberg-Hannover
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »
This coin was screwed, rather than machine-struck. Screwed coins are usually better aligned than hammered coins, but slight misalignments do occur often. They come about because of wear of the dies' screw.

A 45° rotation is less common. It is caused by mounting the die wrongly in the press. It is remarkable in the sense that usually, a screw press would not have any provision to insure correct mounting - dies were screwed in place, while the first mechanised presses would have the equivalent of a bayonet fitting, so that the die could be mounted in four positions only. In later presses, the die could be mounted in two positions only and in modern presses, it is in theory impossible to mount the die other than in the correct position.

I think your coin shows that a screw press could have a bayonet fitting also. This is interesting for those who like to know about minting technology, which is a minority of collectors, but they exist.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline CameronK

• Why? I coax stories out of unidentified coins.
Re: Rotated Dies - Pfennig of Brunswick-Lüneberg-Calenberg-Hannover
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 01:42:24 PM »
Thanks for the detail! I'll make a note in my collection about this.
Why? I coax stories out of unidentified coins.