Author Topic: List of countries still issuing cast or hammered coins in the twentieth century  (Read 351 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
What about Korea?
Last cast cash struck in 1891. First machine-struck coins are dated 1884 (KM 1100)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Japan. Should it be included in this topic?
Yes. Changeover from cast to machine-struck around 1870. First circulating machine-struck coins in 1873.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
So when were the last cast coins for Japan and Korea issued? In the twentieth century?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Your question is imprecise. In your first post, you say "used". Later on it is mostly "issued". Are trials issued? Is a cash coin used as funeral money used? If a coin has a catalogue quote of several hundreds or thousands of dollars, was it used?

You don't mention it, but are you perhaps after the year the national mint was first mechanised? How would you deal with the Maldives, where there never was a mechanised mint? All machine-struck coins were made in another country.

I just tell you what I know. You decide.

Peter

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
OK, let me be more precise. I have changed 'used' to 'issued'. After all, I myself was for example still using century-old Victorian halfpennies in the England of the 1960s, but that is not what interests me here.

You don't mention it, but are you perhaps after the year the national mint was first mechanised?

No, that doesn't interest me. Just the year when the country last issued cast or hammered coins.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Please continue, Figleaf - and other interested members - so that I can post the completed alphabetical country list, with the final year in which each country issued non-machine-struck coins. I am not knowledgeable enough to produce such a list myself.