Author Topic: Complete collection of Tipu Sultan's Pagoda Coins  (Read 106 times)

Offline gsrctr

Complete collection of Tipu Sultan's Pagoda Coins
« on: March 27, 2021, 08:45:44 PM »
Tipu Sultan, who ruled Mysore from 1782 to 1799, was a numismatist's dream! He issued a wide variety of coins of high artistic merit from multiple mints with colorful names. I have been collecting his pagoda coins, which are made of gold, roughly 3.40 to 3.44 grams in weight and about 12 mm in diameter. There are 21 varieties of pagoda coins issued by Tipu that I know (and may be more that I don't know). I have 10 in my collection so far and am thoroughly enjoying the journey. I could not find images of all the varieties issued anywhere and hence I did some work to collect all the images to help me in my journey. I will share my research in this thread and also include some images from my other posts so that everything is presented in the same place.

The coins issued during the first four years of Tipu's reign bear the Hijri date, the numerals reading from left to right, while those from the fifth year to the end of the reign are dated in accordance with Tipu's special Mauludi era, and the figures read from right to left. So you will see the year change from 1200 (regnal year 4) to 1215 (regnal year 5). While the Mauludi year 1215 commenced on 20th March 1787, the Hijri year 1200 terminated on 23rd October 1786.

Tipu's pagoda coins generally termed as Sultani pagoda. There are three varieties and the last of these bears the distinctive term faruqi. Faruqi or 'timid,' comes from Omar Faruq, the name of the second Khalifa.

I. Struck at the Pattan and Nagar mints in the first four years of the reign
On a granulated field.
Ohv.—Haidar's initial — combined with the name of the mint, and the numeral regnal year
Rev.— He is the Sultan, the Just.

2. Struck at the Pattan and Nagar mints in 1215, and at Dharwar in 12l6.
Ohv.—Haidar's initial combined with the name of the mint, and the numeral regnal year
Rev.— "Muhammad. He is the Sultan, the Just" and the Year

3. Struck at Pattan from 1216 to 1223, at Nagar in 1216 and 1217, and at Khurshed-sawad in 1217 and 1218.
Obv.—A faruqi. Mint and  regnal year. Haidar's initial and the name of the mint are combined.
Rev-— "Muhammad. He is the Sultan, the Unique, the Just" and the Year

The book "The Coins of Haidar Ali and Tipu Sultan" by J.R.Henderson (Peter kindly made this available in the WoC bookshelf) provides a very good documentation of all the coins. In the book, the list does not have a coin from Patan mint for the year 1199 (figure below - red rectangle shows the pagodas and their mints and the green square shows the year 1199), but I am including a picture of the specimen I have. If anyone has any variety not shown in the list, please post.

Offline gsrctr

Re: Complete collection of Tipu Sultan's Pagoda Coins
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 08:49:20 PM »
Dharwar (1216 - 6) and Khurshed Sawad (1217 - 7, 1218 - 8) varieties.
Khurshed Sawad is just a fancy name for Dharwar mint.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:42:51 PM by Figleaf »

Offline gsrctr

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 08:51:51 PM »
Pagoda varieties from Nagar mint.
There seems to be no issue from 1198 - 1 (please post if you know of one).

Offline gsrctr

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 08:54:39 PM »
Pagoda varieties from Pattan mint - regnal years 1 through 6.

Offline gsrctr

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 08:57:52 PM »
Pattan varieties from regnal years 7 through 13.
Again looks like there is an issue missing (1222 - 12). Please post if you have a reference.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 08:49:25 AM »
Thanks for this magnificent overview !

Anthony