News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Huvishka Elephant-rider Mao AE Unit (really light and thin)

Started by cmerc, March 24, 2021, 02:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmerc

Got this very interesting coin today. This is a fractional, posthumous, or local imitation coinage of Huvishka. Was expecting a small coin, but the flan is surprisingly broad for a coin this light--it is a very thin coin.

Gobl groups all these coins under Gobl # 977, described as "Miiro or Mao" (classified by Gobl as group 10). However, on this coin, the god can be definitely identified as Mao: The god portrait with two "horns" on the shoulders is attributable to Mao. Moreover, the legend "Πoc" (?) appears on heavier Mao coins (see Gobl # 916.2, weight 9.79 g, group 5 in Gobl). The similarity in the blundered legends "Πoc" would suggest that this coin (cf. Gobl 977) belongs to the same die family as Gobl 916.2, i.e., this coin is a fractional drachm of Gobl 916.2. At 1.80 g, I would guess that this is meant to be a 1/2 or full drachm or unit. Hard to imagine how these coins were used interchangeably in antiquity, given the wide variations in weights.

Any thoughts, corrections, or comments greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Kushan, Huvishka Elephant-rider type
Depicting Mao (lunar deity)
AE Drachm or 1/2 Drachm

1.80 grams, 19.5-20.4 mm
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

THCoins

Interesting specimen ! Also because the elephant rider seems to have been supplied with the godly attribute of horn on the shoulders. I think one could spent a whole career on just the different derivatives of the Kushan copper coinage. And than one would probably still not understand everything and not have seen them all. If this was a Roman coin, it would likely be called a "barbaric imitation". I prefer the more neutral "likely local imitation" for these Kushan derivatives.

Figleaf

If you presume that the rider is the Kushan, the horn is quite interesting. In several early cultures, there is a power tension between religious and worldly leaders. This makes sense, because the religious "caste" is the closest competition for the ruler. The usual solution is that the ruler subsumes religious functions, going from priest, via confident of the gods or at least in communication with the gods to being a god. The process can be demonstrated quite well with Roman emperors.

I am not familiar enough with Kushani culture to estimate the value of the horn, but find it quite interesting. It may be a sign that the (successors of) the Kushan were also taking the path of integrating religion into their function.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

JoeCribbCoins

This is an unofficial copy of a coin of Huvishka. As it is unofficial the variations in the imagery will most likely be of no significance in terms of iconography. Huvishka is often depicted on his coins with a halo, what appear to be 'horns' emanating from the king's shoulders are remnants of a halo.

THCoins

Yes, i agree, that would seem a more likely explanation than the king being deified on unofficial imitative coinage.

cmerc

Thank you for the discussion, Peter, Joe, and Anthony!

I had not really paid attention to the "horns"/halo on Huvishka's shoulders. Certainly an interesting depiction of the king's divinity, albeit unofficial.

I always struggle with classifying these coins as either official or local imitations, although this one is quite clear. The derivatives of late Kushan coins is indeed a tough topic!
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.