Author Topic: Mysore - Tipu Sultan - (possibly undocumented) Pagoda from Patan Mint  (Read 158 times)

Offline gsrctr

Tipu Sultan issued gold pagoda coins from three mints - Dharwar (also called Khurshed Sawad), Patan and Nagar. Of these, the Patan mint was the longest running, from Mauludi (era introduced by Tipu) year 1198 to 1223. The book "The Coins of Haidar Ali and Tipu Sultan" by J.R.Henderson (pdf format available freely online) provides a very good documentation of all the coins. In the book, the list does not have a coin from Patan mint for the year 1199 (first figure below - red rectangle shows the pagodas and their mints and the green square shows the year 1199).

Recently I came across, and ended up buying, the pagoda coin from 1199 from Patan mint! I searched quite a bit, but I did not see this coin listed anywhere. This could probably be either a fake (I don't see anything funny with the coin, but who knows), or an extremely rare variety, possibly undocumented. Appreciate any input/opinions.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Mysore - Tipu Sultan - (possibly undocumented) Pagoda from Patan Mint
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 08:52:10 PM »
With all respect for Mr. Henderson's work, his book is now 100 years old. It is inevitable that new mint/date combinations are found and communicated through the internet.

The fact that your coin is known with the date 1200 lend credibility to your coin. However, I do not claim any expertise on this series, so you need someone else to judge its status.

I have found a rights-free copy of Henderson and I'll add it to the WoC bookshelf.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 10:01:12 PM »
Henderson is now available from the WoC bookshelf. Have fun.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 12:54:58 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline coin_lover

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 10:04:52 PM »
your coin is absolutely fine, extremely rare

Offline gsrctr

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 01:49:38 PM »
Thank you for confirming, coin_lover. I compared the coin to two other coins (1198/2 and 1215/5) from Patan mint I have and nothing stands out as fake.

I did not find any reference to this coin anywhere - I searched coinarchives, acsearch and all big auction sites in India. The only authoritative book I have (more than 100 years old as Peter pointed out) does not contain this. If you have a reference, can you please share?