Author Topic: Shah Jahan. Pattan Deo. Rupee. AH 1049  (Read 120 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Shah Jahan. Pattan Deo. Rupee. AH 1049
« on: March 14, 2021, 05:10:12 AM »
Till now all catalogues mentioned that the coins of Pattandeo were issued in AH 1047 RY 13. Not may people noticed a AH 1049 coin when Shailen Bhandare posted one a few years back on Fb. However, another one was recently posted by Sandeep Sharma on Fb and since I am now concentrating on the coins of Gujarat, my senses were alerted. Soon enough one more was offered in a recent Indian auction. Not ina great condition, but then, I had to have it. I was fortunate that not many people were alerted to this new date (probably since the condition was a bit weak) and I got my hands on it at the base price. So now, at least 2 dates and 4 styles are known from this mint.

My research instincts rang alarm bells....... why such a short issue in Shah Jahan's time? Looking around, I first noticed that the European invaders had corrupted the name of the place. It was Patan Dev (the God at Patan). Patan in this case is Prabhas Patan located in Saurashtra area of Gujarat and consists of the port town of Veraval, the temple town of Somnath. Somnath is one of the most important 12 'Jotirlings' of Hindu faith. THe temple was so revered that as per Finbarr Barry Flood - Objects of Translation: Material Culture and Medieval "Hindu-Muslim" Encounter. Princeton University Press. p. 43 (2009), as late as the 14th century, Gujarati Muslim pilgrims were noted by Amir Khusrow to stop at that temple to pay their respects before departing for the Hajj pilgrimage. THe departure for Hajj was from Veraval.

So this is what I could find as a reason for this minting of the coins of Patan Dev (the Persian engraving on the coin can also be read as such).

I am looking deeper as to what caused the minting to be so intermittent and stop suddenly. I would like to hear from any one having an idea on this to help me reach a better conclusion.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Shah Jahan. Pattan Deo. Rupee. AH 1049
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 09:20:17 AM »
If I understand you correctly, the ingredients of the puzzle are: a famous temple, crowds visiting it and a short issue of a silver coin that is, I assume, within the technical requirements.

Why would the issue come to a sudden and complete stop? A likely scenario is an official with rank and authority to speak in the name of Shah Jahan saying the equivalent of "Hey, you, stop that. It ain't allowed".

Why would it start? The most obvious reason seems to me that demand for the coin outstripped supply: the coin was needed and couldn't be had in sufficient numbers.

Here is a speculative scenario: attendants at the temple of Somnath noticed that temple offerings were hampered by a shortage of silver coins. That was bad for pilgrims, as silver was symbolic for clean, immaculate and worthy of the deity, but it also cut into temple income. At long last (perhaps egged on by a fast growth of pilgrims due to long-lasting peace and a rapid rise of wealth) the situation was found intolerable and the temple started making its own silver coins, according to imperial specifications and in good silver.

As the pilgrims soaked up the silver in Somnath, the population was happy about the coins and the pilgrims couldn't care less. The coins were offerings, not money, so nobody complained. The temple dutifully struck a new load when supplies became short again after two years and all was well, until one of the pilgrims happened to be a high official who could read. He understood the good, albeit somewhat self-serving intention of the temple but stopped the practice to avoid future trouble and perhaps he even pleaded the case of the Somnath temple to the officials at the nearest mint.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 03:57:45 PM »
Excellent thoughts, Peter. Need a lot of time to chew on this.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 11:40:41 PM »
Congratulations for this rupee with rare date.
I enjoyed reading brief historical background.
During this tough period all around hats off to you as you're pursuing quite seriously the hobby with same passion alike during normal times.
Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/