Author Topic: Gibraltar to depict living persons on collectors coins  (Read 856 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Gibraltar to depict living persons on collectors coins
« on: March 08, 2021, 01:35:06 PM »
Gibraltar is going to depict living persons that have no connection to the royal family on a collectors coin that it will soon issue. The coin will depict Russian boxer Alexander Povetkin and British boxer Dillian Whyte II, both world champions. The coin will commemorate their fight that will take place on 27 March. The event is better known as 'Rumble on the Rock' and will take place in Gibraltar. The fight will be televised live in the UK, Ireland and Russia. The obverse of the coin will depict the coat of arms of Gibraltar.

I was unable to find any examples of previous occasions in which Gibraltar depicted living persons on its coins that don't have a connection to the royal family and am let to believe this is the first time it happens.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:16:02 PM by eurocoin »

Offline avle64e

• Errare Humanum Est
Re: Gibraltar to depict living persons on collectors coins
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 10:29:21 AM »
The coins are declared as collectible. The nominal value is 2 pounds. Do you know if it will be a bimetal? Do you know where the coins will be issued?

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »
I do not know.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »
Living persons on a coin are silly. There are some examples in younger history teaching us not to do so. I remember a "commemorative coin" of Guinea Ecuatorial depicting the German runner Katrin Krabbe. Just when the "coin" arrived the market she was found guilty of doping. A South African token of the BP sporting greats series depicts the tennis player Bob Hewitt, who was found later guilty of rape.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »
Do you know where the coins will be issued?

The coins will be available for sale from the Gibraltar National Mint webshop. Possibly also from other dealers.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 12:59:38 PM »
First images of the coins. They were struck at Tower Mint and designed by artist Glyn Davies. There exist 2 versions. A basemetal version and a version made of silver with partial gold plating and colour.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 03:28:20 PM »
Living persons on a coin are silly. There are some examples in younger history teaching us not to do so. I remember a "commemorative coin" of Guinea Ecuatorial depicting the German runner Katrin Krabbe. Just when the "coin" arrived the market she was found guilty of doping. A South African token of the BP sporting greats series depicts the tennis player Bob Hewitt, who was found later guilty of rape.

Switzerland issued a coin commemorating Roger Federer last year I believe

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 07:40:47 PM »
The US has done that too. Sure, basically you want to be on the "safe side" in case somebody who you honor is later regarded differently. Had the Federal Republic of Germany honored, say, Ernst Moritz Arndt on a coin (the GDR did that in 1985), we may now say "hmm". The university in Greifswald for example was named after him between 1933 and 2018, then the name was dropped. But issuing a commemorative coin would least be a one-time "event" only. And in this particular case, the Gibraltar commemorates a specific event ... if you want to call this an event at all.  ;D

Christian
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:37:21 PM by chrisild »

Offline MCz

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 09:01:49 PM »
Is it with Queen Elizabeth II on obverse or Gibraltar Coast of Arms?

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 09:10:40 PM »
Is it with Queen Elizabeth II on obverse or Gibraltar Coast of Arms?

The Gibraltar coat of arms. It is the first commemorative coin of Gibraltar that does not depict the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.

Offline MCz

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 09:27:14 PM »
Thank you for this info.

Offline avle64e

• Errare Humanum Est
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 07:54:25 AM »
I wonder who is considered the author of the obverse of the coin? Or when depicting the signs of the state, the author does not exist? Or the addition of an inscription around the coat of arms already gives reason to call some person the author. Prior to this, the Pobjoy Mint had repeatedly used the coat of arms on the reverse. This is not the first time the Tower Mint has used a coat of arms instead of an obverse, meaning it has no conflict of interest with the Pobjoy Mint. And again, the question arises who is the author? Gibraltar National Mint?. I did not find a source that would tell who proposed such a variant of the coat of arms for Gibraltar. By the way, in Russia this coat of arms is not called the coat of arms of Gibraltar, but the coat of arms of the Government of Gibraltar.

Offline MCz

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 10:41:59 AM »
Yes, I used thought shortcut... It's coat of arms of Gibraltar Governement... Gibraltar coat of arms is the Castle and Key (which is the bottom part of Gibraltar Governement coat of arms).

Offline avle64e

• Errare Humanum Est
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 02:39:39 PM »
Yes, I used thought shortcut... It's coat of arms of Gibraltar Governement... Gibraltar coat of arms is the Castle and Key (which is the bottom part of Gibraltar Governement coat of arms).
I was more surprised that it is also listed in the order.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 11:56:50 AM »
Loose basemetal coins are now available in BU quality here. It has an edition limit of 30,000 pieces.
Apparently there will also be a coloured basemetal version of the coin in a card. That can be found here. It has an edition limit of 25,000.

It is also available in sterling silver proof edition here.
The sterling silver proof version with partial gold plating seems to be not yet available.

I cannot guarantee that the coins will in the future not become available cheaper elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 01:21:12 PM by eurocoin »