Author Topic: Egypt: Commemorative and collector coins 2021  (Read 132 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Egypt: Commemorative and collector coins 2021
« on: February 08, 2021, 03:28:35 AM »
The series continues in 2021

This time the pair for Medical workers

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Re: Egypt: Commemorative and collector coins 2021
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 03:52:34 PM »
Egypt starts issuing 15mn coins to honour medical workers

Thu, Feb 11 2021 10:20:02 AM

Cairo, Feb 11 (IANS): Egypt has started issuing 15 million commemorative coins in appreciation of the role played by medical workers in fighting Covid-19 in the country, an Egyptian Finance Ministry official said.

"We have already started issuing the coins and making them available in the markets. The issuing of the 15 million coins will be completed within the next six months. But they will remain in the people's hands for years as a coin's lifespan varies between 15 and 20 years," Sherif Hazem, an adviser to the Egyptian Finance Minister was quoted as saying by the Xinhua news agency.

He noted that there will be 10 million one-pound coins and 5 million half-pound ones, for they are frequently used by Egyptians in everyday life, "instead of issuing gold or silver commemorative coins to be collected only by a few people."

The coins feature Egyptian doctors and nurses with the words "Medical Teams of Egypt." Hazem explained that the "Medical Teams of Egypt" include doctors, nursing staff, paramedics and also administrative staff who played "a huge role" in fighting the pandemic nationwide.

"Commemorative coins raise people's awareness of current events, projects and efforts," he said, noting that such coins get the attention of the Egyptians, especially the youth.

The gesture has been appreciated by medical personnel.

Mohamed Ali, undersecretary of the Health Affairs Directorate of Matrouh province in northern Egypt, said that it is "a wonderful idea that raises the morale of medical workers whose role has been greatly recognised after the pandemic."

In late January, Egypt started vaccinating the country's medical staff with Chinese Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccine.

Ali noted that the medics of Matrouh hospitals have already started receiving the vaccine.

Egypt has registered a total of 170,780 Covid-19 cases, including 9,751 deaths and 133,098 recoveries.

Source
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 03:54:43 PM »
Since there are no less than eighteen different commemorative coin types from 2019 that were released for general circulation, I though it would be a good idea to list all of them together, accompanied by an illustration, to make it easier to figure out which is which. Here's a picture of all eighteen types, with the 50 piastres coins on the left and the 1 pound coins on the right:

I was not even aware of so many Egyptian commemorative coins getting issued - somehow these coins don't make it to news so often. Thanks for the list, those bimetallic coins are definitely on my radar now! 8)

Anyone knows a good dealer to order these coins from?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 05:16:24 PM »
Aditya,
This appears to be a long series with 10th coin being issued on 69th Ann of Police Day

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 03:38:40 PM »
Very nice indeed! Lots of good looking commemoratives are getting issued by African countries it seems. 8)

Aditya

Offline Vincent

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:17:14 PM »
Thank you, Pabitra, for updating us with the 2021 coins! I have just added them to my want list. I wonder if there might be a 50 piastres coin accompanying the 2021 police day one pound coin. This would be in line with all of the other recent commemorative issues.

There's also a pair (50 piastres and 1 pound) issued in 2015 to commemorate the expansion of the Suez Canal (the "New Suez Canal"). Of these, the 1 pound coin occurs erroneously with the date 2011, this happened because the mint accidentally used a die intended for the non-commemorative 1 pound coin when minting the 2015 commemorative 1 pound coin.

It appears that if you take these 2015 coins, the 2019 coins that I listed in the original post [edit: this post], and the 2021 issues reported by Pabitra, we have a listing of all 21st century circulating commemoratives of Egypt. When you look at all of them combined, it seems that some of them fall within a theme, which you could call 'new national projects'. The 2015 coins and sixteen of the 2019 coins all fall within this theme. Then you've got the two 2019 coins commemorating the 80th anniversary of the Ministry of Solidarity, the 2021 police day commemorative and the 2021 medical personnel commemoratives which don't seem to fall within this theme.

Anyone knows a good dealer to order these coins from?

I got the 2019 'new national projects' coins from "liolikas99" on eBay. I suspect that the ongoing pandemic might be causing a bit of a delay in the availability of new Egyptian types, so perhaps a bit of patience is not a bad thing.

It's nice to see that the dangerous and important work of health care personnel during the pandemic is being recognised on coins. I believe Russia and Australia have also issued coins with this theme.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:07:23 PM by Vincent »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 02:57:42 AM »
50 Piastres on Police Day does not seem to have been announced so far.

Regarding issue of coins to recognise health workers, Italy has announced a 2 Euro commemorative coin, to be issued on June 22, 2021.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 09:10:42 PM »
Egypt just issued three collector coins portraying the popes of the modern Coptic Church of the past 50 years: Pope Cyril VI, Pope Shenouda III and the current Pope of Alexandria Tawadros II. More info and images here.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 09:48:10 PM »
Are those really coins? They look more like medals to me

Offline Vincent

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 10:32:39 PM »
@quaziright, they do not appear to have a denomination and hence no purchasing power. So they are apparently not coins.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 11:00:01 AM »
Could well be, yes. The egypttoday.com article above refers to "coins", and even quotes the country's finance minister. An article from Austria, in German, quotes the curator of the Egyptian Mint, and says the series of "coins" (max. 1,000 sets) will be exclusively sold by the mint. It mentions a Coptic news portal Watani, and if you search for that, you get this story for example.

It is not exactly uncommon that medals issued by cities, companies, etc. are erroneously called coins. In this case, however, the fact that government and mint representatives are quoted, well ... may still be nothing but clever marketing. ;)

Christian