Gibraltar: New effigy of Queen for commemorative coins since 2016

Started by <k>, February 20, 2021, 10:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

In 2019 a new effigy of the Queen appeared on some of Gibraltar's circulating commemorative coins and its non-circulating commemorative and non-commemorative coins:

a] 2 pounds - Non-circulating commemorative coin: Breast Cancer Awareness.

b] 5 pounds - Circulating commemorative coin : 20th anniversary of the Gibraltar Ombudsman Office.

c] 1 Sovereign - Non-circulating coin.  Saint George and the dragon.

d] ½ Crown - Non-circulating commemorative coin: D-Day 75th Anniversary.

e] Double crown - Non-circulating commemorative coin: D-Day 75th Anniversary.  Omaha beach.

f] Double crown - Non-circulating commemorative coin: D-Day 75th Anniversary.  Utah beach.

g] ½ Crown - Non-circulating commemorative coin: D-Day Landings.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Gibraltar 2 pounds 2019.jpg

Here you see the effigy on the 2 pound coin of 2019.

Tower Mint has not revealed who designed the new effigy.

Image courtesy of Change Checker.

<k>

Gibraltar double crown 2019.jpg

The effigy as it appeared on the Gibraltar double crown of 2019.

<k>

Gibraltar 50 pence 2020.jpg

In 2020 the effigy appeared on a commemorative 50 pence for the first time.

<k>

I got it wrong! A correction from eurocoin:

These coins were minted by Tower Mint and the portrait was made by Raphael David Maklouf.

The portrait was first introduced in 2016 on collectors coins and sporadically used on collectors coins of Gibraltar since. In 2019 it was for the first time used on a commemorative coin (the Breast Cancer Support 2 pound coin).  In 2020 it was indeed for the first time introduced on a commemorative 50 pence coin.

The portrait has so far never been used on standard circulation coins. It was also never minted on commemorative coins that were produced for circulation. It was so far only used on collectors coins and non-circulating commemorative coins. It can therefore not be found in general circulation.

The portrait has also only been used on coins of Gibraltar.

I know it is hard to follow everything these days with so many releases.

My thanks to eurocoin for this correction.

andyg

Falkland 5p.jpg

Falkland Isles 5p 2019.

But not on the 1p /2p / 10p or 20p 2019.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Alan71

Although it's a massive improvement on the awful Pobjoy portrait, the Tower Mint version is still inferior to the Rank-Broadley effigy it's clearly based on.  Both of them make their coins much less attractive (to me anyway).

I'd love to know the reasoning for the Jody Clark portrait not being used outside of the UK.  To me it makes it less "official".  The Rank-Broadley was almost universally adopted, even on the likes of Jersey's and the Falklands' coinage, neither of which had fully used the Maklouf.

All a bit of a mess really.  The Falklands mixing portraits strikes of them not really giving a damn about their coinage anymore.

<k>

Oh dear. Alan71 is pining for the good old days already.  :-X

I'd love to know the reasoning for the Jody Clark portrait not being used outside of the UK.  To me it makes it less "official".  The Rank-Broadley was almost universally adopted, even on the likes of Jersey's and the Falklands' coinage, neither of which had fully used the Maklouf.

Uniformity is for communists, fascists and the military. The UK's overseas territories are allowed to be British in their own way. If they choose to be different in their use of portraits, that's fine, and it all enhances the variety within numismatics.

<k>

Quote from: andyg on February 20, 2021, 11:52:01 PM
Falkland Isles 5p 2019....

But not on the 1p /2p / 10p or 20p 2019.

We can see that this is a case of the Tower Mint providing the same effigy for two British territories. It's clear that Gibraltar wants to preserve this effigy for commemoratives only. But how will the Falklands use it, in the longer term?

eurocoin

Andyg is right of course. The portrait was indeed used on that 5p coin of the Falkland Islands that did enter circulation there. It was already late in the evening yesterday.  :(