Author Topic: Svenska Tivoliägare Föreningen amusement tokens  (Read 209 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Svenska Tivoliägare Föreningen amusement tokens
« on: February 20, 2021, 05:56:07 PM »
SVERIGES TIVOLIÄGARE FÖRENING - Swedish Tivoli (amusement park) owners enterprise. A club of owners? A holding of parks? There is a similar token, but with A.M. here. I also have a variant with only the side with the denomination, the other side being blank.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 05:40:21 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: But what is O.S.?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »
For the sake of comparison. A generic token?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 06:34:17 PM »
Svenska Tivoliägareföreningen is the umbrella organisation for owners/operators of amusement parks and funfairs. They produced these tokens for their members, which could be personalised if the member so wished.

OS hasn't been conclusively attributed AFAIK, but an educated guess is that these are from Oscar Sandberg, proprietor of Sandbergs Tivoli in Skövde in the 1950s. There are other tokens, not part of the STF series, from this tivoli, which explicitly mention either his name or Sandbergs Tivoli.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 08:47:14 PM »
Sounds like an educated guess. Good enough for me.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Svenska Tivoliägare Föreningen amusement tokens
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 05:43:25 PM »
And another one. W. M. A foreign name, perhaps? I had understood Swedes don't do a double-you and will write a single-vee instead.

Peter

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 05:50:28 PM »
W was used interchangeably with V in former times, and indeed the two letters are still often alphabetised as variants of the same letter, giving the alphabet 28 letters rather than 29. As is often the case with archaic spellings, personal names often retain older forms (hence all the restaurants calling themselves ".... Wärdshus" - it's the equivalent of "Ye Olde ...." in English).

Anyway, this is definitively attributed, to one Wilhelm Moberg, tivoli owner of Borlänge. No relation as far as I know of Vilhelm Moberg, the writer.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 07:43:44 PM »
Thank you. Welcome information. Are there many different obverses known of this token? Uncle Google turns up only a few variants.

Peter

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 08:37:19 PM »
33 different obverses are known (each potentially in several denominations), including blank. 10 of these are definitively attributed to an issuer, and a further 8 are attributed to either or both of two known STF members who share the same initials. Ignoring the blank obverse, that leaves 14 unattributed.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 08:22:35 PM »
Well, since we now have utterly glorious pages on Swedish amusement tokens, why not add one with these? Any volunteers? My pictures are OK to use.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 11:43:07 AM »
I am researching Oskar Sandberg in Skövde. I found a translator by that name (1865-1922) here, but he seems a bit early. There is a discussion about him here, but it's heavily edited and my Swedish is not good enough to be able to contact the interesting posters. All I got is the name of his daughter: Lillemor. Looking for a Swedish speaker to pick up where I am blocked.

Peter

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 05:18:47 PM »
Yes, his daughter is Lillemor, but in one of the first posts a contributor says that she and her husband Rune are "till åren komna", a very gallant way of saying "elderly". That was in 2007, so the chances of their still being around are fairly slim. However, one of the later contributors, Lena, is Lillemor's daughter. She says that Sandberg's full name is Oskar Emanuel. Unfortunately the user Willy has removed all their contributions so it's not clear always what people are responding to.