Author Topic: Sweden: Sporrong generic tokens  (Read 198 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Sweden: Sporrong generic tokens
« on: February 08, 2021, 09:50:13 PM »
Inspired by the more general thread on Swedish generic machine tokens, I thought I'd bring together all the variants of the Sporrong standard token that I'm aware of. I've divided them into three main types defined by the Sporrong logo used.

Type 1: Coat of arms-style design

This is the most widely encountered Sporrong stamp, and is called in the Swedish literature Sporrongs nya stämpel, or Sporrong's new stamp, to differentiate it from the first, oval, stamp used until around 1882.

I have this design in diameters of 19.0, 22.0, 23.0, 24.3 and 26.3 mm.

Type 1a: with POLLETT

As Type 1 but with POLLETT across the reverse. I include this here partly because pollett (= token) must win some kind of "stating the bloomin' obvious" award and is no better than a blank reverse, and partly because the one I have is 18 mm in diameter, which adds another size to Type 1.

Type 2: SPORRONG with three circles

I don't have any hard information on when the traditional logo was scrapped and when this and Type 3 were successively introduced, but my guess is late 1960s or 1970s.

I have this design in diameters of 16.0, 19.0, 23.5, 24.3, 25.0 and 26.0 mm.

Type 2a: with hole

As Type 2 (with logo centrally placed) but with a hole. I have this in 25.0 mm diameter only.

Type 2b: with hole, plated

As Type 2a but nickel-plated. 25.0 mm.

Type 2c: with hole and two logos

At some point someone figured out that if you wanted a hole in your token, it was probably best to redesign it so that the only design element on the whole piece was not punctured. This, again 25.0 mm, has two smaller logos above and below the hole.

Type 3: S with three "pips"

This is the most recent version. Again, I'm unsure when it was introduced, but I would guess 1980s.

I have this in diameters of 19.0, 21.0, 24.3 and 28.5 mm.

Type 3a: Logo closer to rim

As Type 3 but with a notably larger logo relative to the planchet size. The pictures for Types 3 and 3a are of tokens with the same diameter for precise comparison. I only have this variant in 19 mm.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Sweden: Sporrong generic tokens
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 10:09:59 PM »
Mention should be made of this Swedish Transport Token Manufacturers and Stamps listing that we have on WoT for other stamps of Sporrong along with other makers.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 08:58:30 AM »
Thank you, FosseWay. Very helpful and worthy of WoT. I'll take out the Sporrongs from the other thread, so that it gets focussed on Sigma.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline scroggs

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 09:40:18 PM »
A few more to add to the Sporrong list
Type 1 - White metal 24.3mm and 18mm in thick and thin planchets

Type 2 - White metal 17, 24.3mm and 19mm in thick and thin planchets

Type 2C - White metal 25mm

not sure if the WM tokens are plated or not

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 11:18:55 PM »
The thick and thin planchets should have different weights. That would be an easier way to distinguish them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 07:23:23 AM »
I've not noticed any difference in thickness - I will keep an eye out in future.

I suspect that scroggs's white metal variants are probably plated. It helps if your specimens are well used (like my 2b above) so the brass shows through! I have some white metal Sporrong tokens with non-generic reverses, but haven't come across any generic ones other than the one shown here.

Offline scroggs

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 09:25:56 PM »
The weights of the tokens

Type 1 - White metal 24.3mm 4.83g and brass 19mm in thick 2.88g and thin 2.02g planchets, 18mm 2.13g

Type 2 - White metal 17 1.81g , 24.3mm 4.19g and brass 19mm in thick 2.67g and thin 1.96g planchets

Type 2C - White metal 25mm 6.35g
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 10:08:13 PM by scroggs »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 09:40:51 PM »
That's a handy way to distinguish them, confirming that it's not just a rolling accident. Thank you.

Peter