News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Crusaders of Antioch, Tancred (1104-1112)

Started by mti, January 21, 2021, 06:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mti

Hello, hello...!!!  Here's one mystery item I found on eBay...!!!  It was among Ancient Indian Coins... but I doubt that this one is from there...  ;)
I would like to find out where it is from and what period of time (Era) and who was the Ruler... it possible...!?!?

Thank you in advance and hope you have a great day...!!!  =))

P.S. Here's what I know about it:  2.4g / 19mm / Copper

FosseWay

I think it is Russian "wire money" - not sure which tsar.

Manzikert

Crusaders of Antioch, Tancred (1104-1112),
Obv. Bust of St Peter facing
Rev. +/ KEBOI/ ΘHTOΔV/ ΛOCOVT/ ANHRI/ + [or similar]
Metcalf 49-62

Alan

mti

Thank you FosseWay... it does look like wire money... and the Greek letters resemble the Russian alphabet... but the I only saw "wire money" about half the size of this coin... in other words they are much tinier that this one...
Alan's information (Thank you Alan ;))... ) gave us a more precise answer... and I was able to find better images of this coin - here: https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=4850191&AucID=5419&Lot=566&Val=6935535cc48e800eab7ba98d89ffb171

Consider it solved!!!

P.S. the coin entails a very interesting history, so if you have time read on about it on wikipedia (about the Principality of Antioch, and about the ruler - Tancred)...

FosseWay

Agreed, Alan's diagnosis is much better  :)

Figleaf

It's hard to compete with Alan, but it's good to give it a try and motivate or inspire others.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.