Author Topic: Is this Ottoman Empire coin?  (Read 385 times)

Offline mti

Is this Ottoman Empire coin?
« on: January 19, 2021, 12:57:00 AM »
Hello everybody...!!!  I would like to ID this coin - it looks like an Ottoman Empire but I couldn't find anything similar on Zeno...

Here's what I know about it:  1.6g / 17-19mm / and either AR(Bi) or Copper (it looks greenish so either/or is possible)

Also, do you guys know of a good online resource about Ottoman Coins, especially of an earlier periods like this coin and like the ones in the next post (about 5 coins)?!?!
A resource that would help ID these kinds of coins...?!?!  Thank you in advance for all of your feedback and info... =))

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Is this Ottoman Empire coin?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 05:00:47 PM »
Looks like a mongol fals ?  Golden Horde / Jani Beg (Saraï al-jadid)) could be a path to take ???
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Online aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 07:14:09 PM »
Dear mti, your coin looks similar to your coin posted on January 23, 2021:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=50374.0
Compare the Six-petaled rosette inside central hexalobe, which may look like a Mamluk coin.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Online aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 07:29:05 PM »
Dear mti, if the first photo is turned 180 degrees, then the word at the bottom looks like " Zarb ضرب ".

Maythem

Offline mti

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 07:55:29 PM »
Thank you for your time gentlemen...

I just spent some of mine :) on trying the possibilities with Zeno... so I tried Golden Horde - no match there and
I tried Mamluk hypothesis - no match... the Mamluk "rosettes/flowers/petals" are 99% convex and my coin's are concave... so I think it's big difference...
Forgive me for asking what is "Zarb"... is it a word for "Mint" ?!?!

Also, on some of the Mamluk coins I found two triangles attached to each other at the top... later on I discovered that these are part of a hexagram that did not fit on a flan...

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 08:08:25 PM »
Zarb means "struck". It usually precedes the mint name, except on modern Egyptian coins, where the formula zarb fi (struck at) is more common. On this coin, you would expect the mint right above zarb.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 10:27:08 PM »
It certainly looks Ottoman, but it doesn't seem to be in the only reference I know for manghirs, Olcer's 'Ornamental copper coinage of the Ottoman Empire'.

There used to be a good website on Ottoman coins but unfortunately it disappeared a few years ago: I should have downloaded it :(

Alan

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 11:24:10 PM »
This one?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 05:37:49 AM »
This Turkish site used to show all Ottoman coins in details, but now it shows only coins for Sultan Abdulmejid I (AH 1255-1277/1839-1861 AD) and onwards.
https://www.osmanliparalari.com/

Maythem

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 11:14:38 AM »
Yes, it was the osmanliparalari site Maythem mentions: I believe the change has something to do with a change in Turkish law which makes collecting anything earlier illegal.

I have bookmarked the other site, thank you Peter.

Alan

Offline mti

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 01:47:13 AM »
Looks like a mongol fals ?  Golden Horde / Jani Beg (Saraï al-jadid)) could be a path to take ???

@ saro  thank you for the pointers - I checked Zeno with my coin's specs for Mongols, Jani Beg, Sarai al-jadid... no results, no matching specimens...  :'(

Any other ideas...?!?!  "Zarb" - if we knew where it was struck...  would be something... :))

Offline mti

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 10:18:22 PM »
Well, today is my lucky day... =))

I found, by accident, the one I was looking for awhile now...  and it is not what we originally thought it was.:  https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=229847

It is a manghir, but turns out not an Ottoman but its early rivals - Karamanids... 

this one is the same coin as mine only not attributed yet Zeno (just a similar coin, a variation thereof... )
https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=132590

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 09:02:07 AM »
 :applause:
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)