Author Topic: Laschet's Tag  (Read 121 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Laschet's Tag
« on: January 16, 2021, 02:04:26 PM »
Today Armin Laschet, governor of North Rhine Westphalia (one of the German states), was elected as the new chair of the CDU party. He is Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer's successor. Why would I mention this here? He won because he showed the miner "dog tag" that his father used to wear. ;)

Well, maybe he was elected for other reasons too. But during his speech he showed the tag (miners working underground would, much like soldiers, have those for identification purposes). His dad used to say, and Laschet said that in his speech: When working in a mine, it does not matter where you co-worker is from, what religion he has or what he looks like. What counts is that you can rely on him.

Found it interesting that he brought this with him to the (digital) party convention. Of course he wanted to demonstrate that he is a down to earth guy, willing to cooperate etc., but he did that also by showing this little piece. :)

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Laschet's Tag
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 03:24:33 PM »
The guy is making all the right sounds as fas as I am concerned. It's not just that his father had a difficult job, it must have formed him, so that he could have real empathy. Mentioning that what counts is trust, not party allegiance etc. is music to mine ears. Moreover, showing the tag shows respect, beginning with, but not ending with his father.

Yes, the tag was "For Identification", but that is sugar-coating reality. The tag had to be left at the entrance of the mine and had to be picked up on leaving. "Had to" means that there was a hefty fine on not observing the rules. In case of trouble, the tags gave an instant overview of who was down in the mine. Mine calamities were no rarity (per Mw generated, mines were more deadly than nuclear ever was). If one occurred, family would gather at the entrance of the mine. The first news they would get was whether the tag they came for was in or out.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.