Author Topic: Shah Jahan (AH1037-1068), Dam, mint Daryakot, (unpublished mint), AH1045, RY 8,  (Read 7426 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Here the coin
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
This feels so good the pope must forbid it sooner or later ;) Thank you, Saro!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Since last posts I have now in hand another exemplar of this dam showing some new parts of obverse and reverse and which allow to complete the legend.

On obverse :
- the word over the emperor's name is "sikkah" whose "shin" forms the upper horizontal line;
- the "i" of "Jahani" gives the median second line (over "falus")

On reverse :
- the upper line is the "i" of "fi".
- we can see a little oblique stroke (zabar) under the "kaf" which allows to read "Kyu" instead of "ku"; this stroke is clearly present on the 2 exemplars shown by Overlord.
- the 2 dots of the last "T" of the mintname are present here ,  the 2 other ones of the last "Y" of "kyuYt" are not present here (but they are legible on my previous exemplar.
other posted examplars have not this stroke and may be read "Daryahkuyt"
The only thing of which I am not sure is that the lower horizontal line of the reverse is a "i"? but I don't see anything else possible... 

I read the legends as :"sikkah Shah Jahan falus + yr. 8  / zarb i-Daryahkyuyt fi 104(5)"

I have tried to rebuilt the full legends in a small sketch hereafter.

Great work & nice find , congrats.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Fantastic work, Saro. The coin too is in good condition but your work is much better. Sweet fruits of hard labour......

Amit
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:56:27 PM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Dear Amit, it's too much...
Yes, this dam isn't really in mint state, struck on a coarse worn flan with obverse widely off-centered   : not really the star of the numismatists plates ! :D; it's only interest is to show a (small) new part of the legend of a curiously unpublished coin : it seems not of a high scarcity : now 6 of them are shown on WoC and another is catalogued by M.Mitchiner under n°3241 (World of Islam); however...none in pretty grade.
It could have been minted during the second Shah Jahan's campaign in Deccan; it is still to determine if Daryakot is well the today Daryapur?
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Dear Saro,

That is exactly what I meant. I got the good to read food.......(the f & g keys are next to each other and the spell check didn't show the error).

Any way, I was amazed at the reproduction of the full die that you made.........

Getting an unpublished coins even in a worn grade is very good ....... but being able to decipher the entire legend from only a part that could be seen.....especially on an unlisted coin is what takes the cake......

Amit

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
What an excellent sketch, saro! Your calligraphy reminds me of Valentine.

Offline RG

• Meritorious Member
Same? This my specimen. Weight 20.4grams.