Author Topic: 1928 First east-west transatlantic flight  (Read 268 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
1928 First east-west transatlantic flight
« on: December 03, 2020, 11:40:17 AM »
This is a well-crafted medal commemorating the 1928 first nonstop flight across the Atlantic traveling east to west.

The crew consisted of two German pilots and an Irish navigator flying a Bremen Junkers W-33. It left Baldonnel Aerodrome . Ireland on April 12 and arrived in Greenly Island, Canada the following day. The two pilots were Ehrenfried Gunther Frellherr von Hunefeld, and Captain Hermann Kohl who were accompanied by Major James Fitzmaurice as navigator.

The medal is silver, 36 mm, and designed by Karl Goetz. It was struck at the Bavarian State Mint in Germany. For whatever reason, a portrait of Fitzmaurice isn't part of the design. See more about this historic flight here.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremen_(aircraft)

Bruce

Always Faithful

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: 1928 First east-west transatlantic flight
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 12:00:57 PM »
For whatever reason, a portrait of Fitzmaurice isn't part of the design.

Well, Goetz was certainly a gifted designer, but many of his medals are metallic versions of propaganda cartoons, supporting the fight against the French in and after WW1 etc. This is not the case here, but maybe he still wanted to emphasize the merits of the two German "pioneers" here, or maybe he figured that the medal would sell better this way, not sure. Other medals, such as this one produced at the Berlin mint, feature three names. ;)

Christian

Offline Alex Island

• World of Islands
  • Honorary Member
  • All islands around the world
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »
It left Baldonnel Aerodrome . Ireland on April 12 and arrived in Greenly Island, Canada the following day.

It is correct that you indicated the island they landed on. I looked for this island on medals dedicated to this flight, and found many varieties. At the same time, it was important for me that this island was indicated. I found two such medals with the name of this island.

All islands around the world & islands coin

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 03:06:16 PM »
Well, Goetz was certainly a gifted designer, but many of his medals are metallic versions of propaganda cartoons, supporting the fight against the French in and after WW1 etc. This is not the case here, but maybe he still wanted to emphasize the merits of the two German "pioneers" here, or maybe he figured that the medal would sell better this way, not sure. Other medals, such as this one produced at the Berlin mint, feature three names. ;)

Christian
In light of the medal you linked to and the additional examples provided by Alex, it wasn't "taboo" in any way to mention an Irish guy as a participant. It's curious that Goetz didn't. Maybe, like you say, he wanted to keep it all in the German family. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 03:10:51 PM »
It is correct that you indicated the island they landed on. I looked for this island on medals dedicated to this flight, and found many varieties. At the same time, it was important for me that this island was indicated. I found two such medals with the name of this island.

Thanks for posting two additional medals, Alex. I am a little confused though. The one says Greenly Island, NEW YORK while my information placed it in Canada. Do you know which country it's in?

Thanks,
Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Alex Island

• World of Islands
  • Honorary Member
  • All islands around the world
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 04:19:01 PM »
We can assume that it is here on the map: Greenly Island, Blanc-Sablon map
All islands around the world & islands coin

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 09:47:56 PM »
Yes, that would be the one. It's a much shorter flight from Ireland than any landing place in New York would be.

Bruce
Always Faithful