Author Topic: Quack medicine  (Read 185 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Quack medicine
« on: December 02, 2020, 11:47:00 AM »
This series of counterstamps always interested me, as irritating as they are. There are a number of varieties, all but one using the lstter G to distraction. There are hundreds of examples known, but they've always been of interest to collectors because of their quirky nature. All are struck on US coins, with the exception of a few on Canadian tokens and one on an 1806 British halfpenny.

The issuer was named Charles H. Goodwin who fancied himself a "Druggist and Manufacturing Chemist" according to one of his advertisements. Most know these kind of people as quacks who sold patent medicines that did little to cure or even alleviate the symptoms of whatever condition they were meant to treat.

Goodwin's "empire" was located at 49 Water St. in Exeter, New Hampshire. He first went into business in 1856 and was active into the early 1890's according to directory evidence. Apparently, his combination of G-products sold well.

He advertised such things as "GGG or Q. of F."  (Goodwin's Grand Greasejuice or Quintessence Of Fat) for the embellishment, preservation, growth, and beauty of the human hair.

Others included "GGGG", Goodwin's Grand Glittering Globules, a breath perfume he described as an "ambrosial aromatic yankee cachous", and of course "GGT and Q of Q", Goodwin's Great Tobacojuice and Quintessence of Quicksilver. This was described as the great American remedy for the Cimex Lecalarius or common bed bug. I'm sure that worked well.

Yet other remedies he concocted, these for bad breath, were advertised as "Goowin's Disinfectant Nectarian Breath Balls" ... No, really, they were :o ...and of course "Goodwin's Odoriferous Little Aromatic Mouthfuls." Geez, I could do some damage with a line like that. >:D

Anyway, i'll have to leave it at that. I'm starting to get a headache and really need a second cup of coffee.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Quack medicine
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 12:09:41 PM »
:laughing: :D

Humanity is fascinating. I needed that really big laugh, Bruce. Thank you!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 02:59:58 PM »
Fancy goods, as he stated in that ad. ;D Had no idea, by the way, that "quack" is used in English. Such people are called Quacksalber in German which is an import (back in 1500 or so) from Dutch. Obviously such people could and can be found everywhere, hehe.

Christian

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 05:00:04 PM »
Fancy goods, as he stated in that ad. ;D Had no idea, by the way, that "quack" is used in English. Such people are called Quacksalber in German which is an import (back in 1500 or so) from Dutch. Obviously such people could and can be found everywhere, hehe.

Christian
Yes, quacks populate all corners of the world, Christian. The difference nowadays is that many of them are on the internet. ;D

:laughing: :D

Humanity is fascinating. I needed that really big laugh, Bruce. Thank you!

Peter
My pleasure, Peter. They say that laughter is the best medicine...and it REALLY works. :)
Always Faithful

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 11:59:19 PM »
Here in Australia we had tokens from Professor Thomas Holloway of London. He was vendor of pills and ointment and in later years, after making a fortune shipping these to Australia and New Zealand, he became a philanthropist, using much of his wealth to found Holloway college, an institution of higher education in London, which was exclusively for women. He also founded Holloway Sanatorium  an institution for the treatment of the insane, located on 22 acres near the town of Virginia Water in Surrey.

He issued token coins dated 1857 and 1858, which, when suppressed in England, were exported in thousands to the colonies. these circulated for many years on the goldfields as the British government at that time were very lax in providing coinage to the fledgling colonies. Any coinage that was here soon returned to Britain in payment for imports. The tokens shows the bust of Holloway and on the other side Hygeia the goddess of health.

He issued both copper pennies and halfpennies, these were identical except in size, similar to the UK Victorian coppers.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 10:46:30 AM »
I like these medical related tokens, counterstamped or not. Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall hearing about Holloway but I don't recall ever seeing any of his tokens. I like this one which served two purposes; advertising and circulating currency.

I appreciate the salve containers you pictured. I tried to find an image of a bottle or jar that held Goodwin's medications but didn't come across anything. Just that one advertisement.

Bruce
Always Faithful