French overseas collectivities to issue new coin series

Started by eurocoin, December 01, 2020, 12:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

The 3 French overseas collectivities of New Caledonia, French Polynesia and Wallis and Futuna will next year together issue 1 new coin series.

Currently New Caledonia and French Polynesia still have separate coin series, although both are denominated in their common currency, the CFP Franc. The coins of New Caledonia are also being used on Wallis and Futuna.

The themes of the different denominations in the new coin series will be: flora, boat, fish, birds, habitat and culture. They will be made of less metal because of which money can be saved. In contrary to the current coins, the dimensions of the new coins will be based on their denomination. The higher the denomination, the larger the coin.

The new coin series will also consist of a coin with a denomination of 200 francs, which can be seen below. The coin, which has the theme 'culture', depicts: Flèche faîtière (carved spears that are being put on top of the roof of houses) to represent New Caledonia, musical instruments and tiki statues to represent French Polynesia and tapa cloths to represent Wallis and Futuna.

Bimat

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

I do not like the design of the 200 francs coin at all. Also, although the current designs are quite old now (upto 40 years I believe), I still find them nice. At least they were still made by real talented artists which cannot be said here. So no change was necessary in my opinion. It is also bad to see 2 separate coin series become 1. Dissapointing decision. Hopefully the other denominations will be nicer but I have little hope.

malawi

interesting news. thanks
when will we see the other denominations ?

eurocoin

Images of the other denominations have not yet been released.
The issuance of the coins will start in September 2021.

eurocoin

The new series will not consist of coins with denominations of 1 and 2 francs.

eurocoin

Quote from: chrisild on December 01, 2020, 05:36:13 PM
Also see Figleaf's comment here:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,10572.msg314346.html

Yes, we need a merger. The moderators and administrators should keep the forum nice and tidy. Delete worthless topics and merge (parts of) topics about the same subject. Too many times I have to ask them to do so.

<k>

Quote from: eurocoin on December 01, 2020, 05:42:48 PM
Yes, we need a merger. The moderators and administrators should keep the forum nice and tidy. Delete worthless topics and merge (parts of) topics about the same subject. Too many times I have to ask them to do so.

Sometimes a post is relevant to more than one topic. Figleaf's post was in the topic Comments on Major New Circulation Sets of the 21st Century, where it is certainly relevant, because that topic covers a wide scope.

Below I will quote Figleaf's post in full. Perhaps members could do likewise in future if the quotes are not too long, rather than merely providing a link.  ;)

Quote from: Figleaf on December 01, 2020, 10:37:52 AM
The TV station explains how the new series of coins will be smaller and they will use design elements from the banknotes. The Fcfp 200 is a new denomination that will fit into the range of lower denominated coins. The decision to change was apparently driven by climate change considerations. The new coins require less metal, so less carbon production, while replacing plant-based paper by coins that last much longer is a positive that offsets mining.

Earlier this year, the TV station reported that the Fcfp 1 and 2 (relatively large aluminium coins, their size based on pre 1939 French franc pieces) are hoarded and remain unused, largely out of disdain for their small value. If these denominations are still included in the new series, they may not be produced for long.

Peter

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on December 01, 2020, 07:20:01 PM
Perhaps members could do likewise in future if the quotes are not too long, rather than merely providing a link.  ;)

Was that a hint, Sir? ;D Actually I was not sure what to do here; as you wrote, the posts were perfectly appropriate in that Circulation Sets topic. So some alias or symlink function would have been the best, except that forum posts are not computer files. Yes, a full quote is probably the (second) best option then. Thanks!

Christian

Jostein

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

eurocoin

Interesting, although the images that the Institut d'Émission d'Outre-Mer has released are rather worthless.

<k>

Worthless in what sense? They are mockups or images of mockups. The designs themselves are attractive and their layout does not resemble that of any other designs of wildlife, etc., on circulation coins. Hence they are original and different. I like the way they extend across most of the coin surface, since most coins these days are on the small side, and also the smaller designs near the rim of the coins. The obverse designs are artistic too, while also giving due prominence to the denomination. I would like to have seen the obverse designs in full, but the images don't show them - with the exception of the 200 francs obverse.

All in all, a beautiful set, and I look forward to seeing large images of the real issued coins.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

Based on these images I certainly would not say that I have now seen the full set, let alone be able to comment on the quality of the designs.

Image 1: Obverse on top of reverse, with the reverse being the interesting side: https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/image/cbwy8J12PeuXilOXOfoedefgaf4/930x620//filters:format(webp)/outremer/2021/03/23/605939e571bd2_nouvelles_pieces_franc_pacifique_forpt_0xxcode_mixx4_frame_136-1620556.jpg

Image 2: Photo taken with a potato and not showing the interesting side:
https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/image/MO9Sw4koBqHw75we-DfhnEaoKEc/930x524//filters:format(webp)/outremer/2021/03/23/60593edb47365_nouvelles_pieces_franc_pacifique_forpt_0xxcode_mixx4_frame_348-1620580.jpg

Conclusion: Worthless images.