Author Topic: Proposed joint 2 euro CC Erasmus Programme  (Read 3497 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Re: Proposed joint 2 euro CC Erasmus Programme
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2021, 02:32:56 PM »
Other 3 shortlisted designs

Designer’s description:

This design is a homage to connections. It hopes to materialize the union in diversity and the global growth to which the Erasmus program has led. The small circles symbolise the countries and the schools, but most of all the communities that embrace the emissaries of new ideas and hopes that are the youths and the students. The elliptical curves represent the exchanges, communication and contact in proximity for which the information era, which has shortened time and space, has not found a substitute.

Designer’s description:

This design is a mix of two major elements of the Erasmus programme: the original intellectual inspiration, Erasmus himself, and the allegory of its influence over Europe. The first one is symbolised by one of the most known depictions of Erasmus. The second one is symbolised by a beam of links going across the coin from a beacon to another, representing the numerous intellectual and human exchanges between the European students. As a reference to Europe, some of these links form other stars, born from the synergy between the countries. Figure 35, for the 35th anniversary, comes out from the stars in a contemporary graphical style.

Designer’s description:

The design shows the bonding between young people, their arms extended around each other’s shoulders and the word Erasmus, like an umbrella, above them. In the artist’s opinion, this is what the Erasmus programme is all about. Under its umbrella, Erasmus gives young university students from all countries in Europe the opportunity to immerse themselves in an academic and cultural environment other than their own, and to broaden their minds and horizons by getting to know other countries, other cultures and other students just like them. Our old continent has a vibrant youth, on which it pins its hopes of becoming an inclusive and diverse place to live and work, free of stereotypes, where all people can forge ties of friendship and prosper in peace, equality and democracy.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »
Everyone is now allowd to vote here.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2021, 03:18:38 PM »
Thanks a lot for the update and the images! Darn, will have to get back to work now  ;D but one or two designs I actually find appealing. Will have an opinion later, and vote some time later ...

Christian

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2021, 03:55:26 PM »
Thanks for the news, Eurocoin.

I really love the first design of this page, by favourite by far.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2021, 05:32:49 PM »
I find all but the 4th design of the survey (third in reply #60) too busy and detailed for a small coin. Apparently that played no part for those who drew up the short list and I doubt very much that it will play a role for the voting public. Too bad they didn't include Frizio's design. His design is both not too detailed and playing with depth.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:59:53 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2021, 09:52:04 PM »
The first design depicted in #59 I like best – this combination of heads, characters and figures is quite appealing. Sure, still abstract, but then the theme is abstract. However, the word PROGRAMME should be left out. An English word (even worse, in the spelling of a country that recently left the program) should not be on a common issue.

An alternative could be to use the local term for each issuing country. But then, some member states would argue that the equivalent of PROGRAM needs to come first. ;) ("Programa Erasmus" in Spanish for example.)

The second design ... well, the ball looks too much like a globe, and that is not what Erasmus was or is about. If it had to be that design, I would add the word ERASMUS.

The next two designs, with the stylized people ... hmm, I have seen too many people like that on coins. ;) The fifth design is not bad but a little too abstract for me.

Depicting Erasmus of Rotterdam on such a coin does not make sense in my opinion, as the program name is an acronym. Sure, it was supposed to remind of him, but that is it. Now the way the "35" has been built into the design I like.

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »
Of course you like the first one of reply #59, that is the design submitted by Germany.  ;)
For me that design is something for the cover of a random psychology book.

I like the third design of reply #59 best, although I do not think it is a really good design.
The design depicting Erasmus is actually nice but the reasoning to put him on it is flawed.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2021, 03:49:57 PM »
Of course you like the first one of reply #59, that is the design submitted by Germany.  ;)

Ooooh ... isn't that supposed to be a secret? Actually I had no idea, but who knows, maybe this is more than mere coincidence. ;)

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2021, 07:39:09 PM »
The dancing figures reminded me of the "Wir sind ein Volk" commem., but they are generic enough.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2021, 02:48:55 PM »
I tried to vote several times and it seems to work, so anything can come out of that ballot.... ???
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2021, 11:52:06 PM »
The German government published a schedule for next year's "special" coins. The Erasmus Program pieces from DE will be issued on 1 July 2022; that may or may not apply to all Erasmus coins ...

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2021, 12:10:11 PM »
Monnaie de Paris has now confirmed that the design depicting the figures '35' and the portrait of Erasmus was made by Joaquin Jimenez of France. I was already certain about that as it is easy to recognize his style. The mint just posted about it on its Facebook page, seemingly hoping to still secure some votes before the poll closes at the end of this month.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2021, 07:35:08 PM »
As expected, Monnaie de Paris has just announced on Facebook that design No. 6 by their chief engraver Joaquin Jimenez has won the competition.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2021, 09:00:26 PM »
Not my favorite ;) but not a result I am unhappy with either. Thanks for the news! Still wondering whether ERASMUS PROGRAMME, in that spelling, will be on all pieces ...

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2021, 05:19:06 PM »
Winning design for the commemorative coin for 35th anniversary of Erasmus programme

The Commission is pleased to announce the winning design of the public vote for a common commemorative €2 coin to celebrate 35 years of the Erasmus+ programme. The coin designed by Mr Joaquin Jimenez has been selected, having received over 22,000 votes. Euro area Member States are now invited to finalise the next steps in order to proceed to the minting and issuance scheduled for 1 July 2022. After more than 70 coin designs were submitted for this competition, a jury selected six coins to go forward for consideration in public vote which the Commission launched last month. Over 72,000 voted to select the design they believed best represented and celebrated the success of the Erasmus project. Erasmus+ is one of the EU’s most emblematic initiatives and a European success story. Since its inception in 1987, 10 million people have benefitted from it. Mariya Gabriel, Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth said: “The Erasmus+ programme has been a life changing experience for generations of young people across and beyond the European Union. I am proud to commemorate its 35th anniversary with this beautiful coin, honouring both Erasmus himself and the numerous intellectual and human exchanges between past and present participants in the programme. I extend my warmest congratulations to the designer, Joaquin Jimenez, and look forward to many more decades of European exchange.” Paolo Gentiloni, Commissioner for Economy said: “Warm congratulations to the winner of our Erasmus+ coin design competition, Joaquin Jimenez of the Monnaie de Paris. For more than three decades, Erasmus+ has enabled young Europeans to study in another EU country, enriching their lives as well as their CVs. Erasmus+ and the euro are two of the most tangible symbols of European unity, so it’s very fitting that we celebrate the programme’s success with this special €2 coin.”