Spain: pre-euro coinage of King Juan Carlos I

Started by <k>, October 02, 2020, 10:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

As we saw earlier in the topic, the new coin types used for the circulating commemoratives were later used as templates for new regular circulation coins.

Then Spain adopted the euro in 2002, and there were no more experiments.

This is a good point at which to end my topic.

Comments are welcome.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Jostein

Quote from: <k> on October 03, 2020, 04:48:11 PM
A closer look at the reverse of the 200 pesetas coin.

Does anybody know what the motif represents?

Dear <k>, the motif represents the Order of the Golden Fleece, this collar is part of the Coat of arms of H.M. the King Felipe VI, as well the Princess of Asturias. We can also see this collar in the regular circulation coins of 25 and 50 pesetas.

Congrats for this thread ;)
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

<k>

Thank you, Jostein. I have amended that post but with reference to Juan Carlos. I understand the motif belongs to the Spanish royal family in general.

<k>

Another question now. How frequently were those circulating commemoratives found in change in the Spain of the 1990s? And did the vending machines cater for the unusual shapes and sizes: the Spanish flower and the holed coins?

I used to think that Canada started the trend for low value circulating commemorative coins back in the 1990s. Remember those 25 cents coins? But I forgot about these beautiful Spanish coins. Such a shame that the euro had to come along and spoil the fun.  :-X

Jostein

The commemorative coins were much more common than the regular ones. For the Spanish collectors, was so expected knowing the design of the complete series of the next year (all but 1 and 500 pesetas). In general, we only used the golden coins: 5, 25, 100 and 500 pesetas, the 1 peseta coin was given in the change just in banks or pharmacies. It was very rare to found in the change the "silver" 10, 50 or 200 pesetas coins. The vending machines accepted every coin except the 1 peseta :)
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

<k>

Thank you for that information, Jostein. It sounds like it was a fun time in the 1990s in Spain. All the infrastructure was there for you to spend, enjoy and collect those special coins.  8)

Tirant

Great thread! Watching it brought me a lot of memories. I remember, back in the 90s, keeping most of them, specially those with Barcelona related designs. The ones of 25 pesetas were probably the most common, and also the ones of 100, as Jostein said. The most difficult were probably the ones of 200.

<k>

<k>

Spain 100 ptas 1980-.jpg

Spain, 100 pesetas, 1980.

Interesting to see a pomegranate on this design.

What does it represent?

stef

Quote from: <k> on February 14, 2024, 12:47:48 PMInteresting to see a pomegranate on this design.

What does it represent?
Granada

We see the symbols of the old kingdoms - Castile, Leon, Navarra, Aragon and Granada.

The football should be for Catalonia (or at least Barcelona 😏).

<k>

Thanks, stef. A pomegranate for Granada.

I wondered at first whether Spanish fans ate pomegranates at football matches.  :D