Author Topic: Small collection  (Read 1618 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Re: Small collection
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2020, 06:07:14 PM »
Another interesting one...1920s District of Columbia streetcar token :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2020, 10:16:38 AM »
See here for a general background, as well as links to the Capital Traction Company and the  Washington Railway and Electric Company mentioned on your token. The many die cracks give you an idea of how intensively the dies were worked.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:03:37 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2020, 09:25:03 PM »
Garden State Parkway, New Jersey, 1952.  One of the first issued :-)  https://www.njta.com/gsphistory/index.html
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »
An interesting history of the GSP, Greg. I never realized the highway was so long. I drove it many, many times but could never go past a certain point (109 North maybe) because large trucks weren't allowed past that point. Never understood that because we were allowed to go the whole distance of the NJ Turnpike. Anyway, it was generally well maintained and upgraded on a regular basis. Not something you see in New Jersey.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2020, 10:52:13 PM »
Bruce, I've only driven it a couple times.  I believe there are parts that are weight limited.  When you compare the construction time and miles GSP was built pretty quickly.  I watched H-3 on Oahu, Hawaii, take 20 years and it's only about 14 miles (if that)!  https://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/02/the-h-3-highway-in-hawaii.html
The Chief...aka Greg