Author Topic: Small collection  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Small collection
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2020, 05:41:43 PM »
This site says that S. L. Reichert, whose signature appears on the token, was not mentioned as an officer of the Duluth street railroad in 1901, secretary and treasurer in 1905, secretary, auditor and member of the board of directors in 1906 and back to secretary and treasurer in 1914 and 1918. I find 1914 and 1918 a slightly more credible period for dating this token than 1905.

BTW, street railway is an interesting term. Its predecessors were the horse-drawn omnibus and the horse tram. With electrification around 1900 came the need for a legally usable term, as operators needed a license. In a number of municipalities, that legal term became street railway, but eventually, it was replaced by tramway (still the approved legal term in France) or tram.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2020, 06:22:27 PM »
"Street railway" may be a direct borrowing from Strassenbahn. I guess it depends whether US street railways were inspired by German ones - on that I have no idea. By the same token, one can infer that the French tramway systems were originally inspired by British ones rather than German.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2020, 09:35:43 PM »
No idea, but possible, of course, but nothing is ever simple. It is likely that the idea of the horse drawn omnibus and tram came from Britain, as the first French models were made by an Englishman, but the etymology of the word is the archaic German/Dutch word trame (bar, rail), which also exists in French (the parallel threads in a weaving machine).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2020, 12:03:06 AM »
George Francis Train is credited with the first street-railway in England.

Amusing that a man named train should start a tramway.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2020, 07:19:59 AM »
Train - tram: a similar confusion exists between Dutch and Swedish. Göteborgs Spårvägar is the company that runs the trams here. Nederlandse Spoorwegen runs Dutch trains.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2020, 07:57:38 PM »
New York City subway token.  This is small one used from 1953 to 1970.  There is a rare version that did not have the Y cut out but it was only used for a few months in 1953.

I've added an example of the later larger tokens.  Same design but bigger.  Used from 1970 to 1980.

Below is a 1980 brass solid NYCTA token.  used from 1980 to 1985.  Looks like it came New York!  :-)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:58:25 PM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2020, 10:11:21 PM »
Here's a bimetallic one - these are the ones I remember using in NY on various visits between 1999 and 2006.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2020, 10:46:27 PM »
I like that design.  Often referred to as "the Bullseye" token.  This is the first variation with the "SJD" below the "GOOD FOR".  1986 to 1995 for all four variants.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2020, 12:49:34 AM »
The Wife is like a drug dealer!  She figured out that I like tokens and has been feeding me more every other day!  More to come but I'm trying to slow down ;-)  I think she's just having just seeing me have fun.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 01:04:51 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2020, 10:15:58 AM »
She's a good lady. Chances are she sees you better than yourself. Yes. coins and tokens sedate, but they are not addictive and they are good for your health. I have a number of testimonials from WoC members to that effect. Why resist fun, anyway? My advice: see if you can pick up some tax tokens, like one of each state that issued them. Beyond their simple appearance is the story of the hardship of the great depression and how people coped. Very uplifting. Instead of wailing about the weight of cent coins, the Americans of these times made tokens denominated in mils (1/10 cent)!

Peter

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2020, 05:16:07 PM »
She is a good lady :-)  Token of the day...Red Arrow Lines out of Philadelphia.  I believe this a 1951 "red" token.  Kind of an interesting history.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »
A trolleybus token of the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company! Good fun. More information here. Here is what remains of the network.

Peter

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2020, 12:45:09 AM »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2020, 07:20:31 AM »
A highly interesting article you linked to, Greg. A secretive, infighting governance leading to financial troubles and violent protests. A situation solved by co-operation and listening. Profound lessons.

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2020, 10:56:28 AM »
New York City subway token.  This is small one used from 1953 to 1970.  There is a rare version that did not have the Y cut out but it was only used for a few months in 1953.

I've seen a lot of The tokens with the Y cut out, but never without. I wonder why they were only used for a short time. Problems with the turnstiles, maybe.

Bruce
Always Faithful