Author Topic: La poste transport token  (Read 194 times)

Offline Henk

La poste transport token
« on: September 16, 2020, 10:10:48 AM »
This token has "transports" written on it so a transportation token perhaps ?

Round, 22,1 mm Brass and 2,25 mm thick
O: La poste | transports (in circle of lines)
R:PV (in circle of lines)

Probably French but what was its use? and what is the meaning of "PV"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: La poste transport token
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »
La Poste is what remains of the erstwhile national post and telephone monopoly, with much of the rest in France Telecom. The addition "transport" is likely to refer to a part of the organisation that transports mail. The P.V. part is mysterious. In French, it normally stands for Proc├Ęs Verbal, but I think that doesn't apply here. Unless we get a quick answer, I propose we ask our partners, numismatique.com.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Henk

Re: La poste transport token
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »
The lettering on the token is much like that on some recent Swiss tokens. Also it the token were French it might be expected that "La poste" would be written as "La Poste" or "LA POSTE". I checked the site on Swiss tokens: https://www.house-of-collections.ch/meine-sammlung/ but the token is not listed there. I asked the ownder of the site if the token could be Swiss. His answer was "not 100% sure but very likely it is Swiss".

The question what the token was used for and what is the meaning of "SV" still stands.