Author Topic: Small collection  (Read 1615 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Small collection
« on: September 07, 2020, 08:59:10 PM »
Out exploring with the family and we came across a small horde of transportation tokens (had to buy them, of course :-)  Thought I should post!  First one is a 1922 Schenectady Railway Co. token, New York.  I forgot to add, as always any and all in puts are always welcome on the thread :-)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 01:36:16 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Re: Small collection
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 09:55:19 PM »
I thought this was a nice one as well...Washington D.C. Capital Transit token, 1933-1955.  Token jack-pot :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 09:59:22 PM »
If you want to delve into these further, you probably want to get hold of the Attwood-Coffee catalogue of North American transit tokens. But be warned: you will be enticed into a bottomless pit of states, towns, companies and variants from which you will never resurface  ;D

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 10:04:54 PM »
Thank you for the warning...I'm a little scared now!  I'll have to look into that catalogue, though.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 11:07:03 AM »
If you want to delve into these further, you probably want to get hold of the Attwood-Coffee catalogue of North American transit tokens. But be warned: you will be enticed into a bottomless pit of states, towns, companies and variants from which you will never resurface  ;D
Agreed, the books are huge and sometimes confusing. I had a set years ago but rarely used them as I wasn't a serious collector...not sure why I even bought them. I eventually donated them to my coin club.

Thank you for the warning...I'm a little scared now!  I'll have to look into that catalogue, though.
You should be scared, Greg. Take FosseWay's advice and proceed with caution. Prolonged exposure will eventually lead to divorce and other unpleasant things. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:44:19 AM »
It's always possible to start small e.g. one token for each state or only tokens issued in a certain period.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 02:12:16 PM »
Agreed, the books are huge and sometimes confusing. I had a set years ago but rarely used them as I wasn't a serious collector...not sure why I even bought them. I eventually donated them to my coin club.

I won a batch of US transit tokens on Tradera (Swedish eBay) four-five years ago. Sure there were quite a lot of them in the batch, around 1500, but when I went to the post office to get the parcel I was very surprised by the weight of it. So surprised, in fact, that I had to ask the clerk to look after it while I went home and got the car, since it was awkwardly heavy to carry on foot for a mile or so. When I got it home and unpacked it, I found the cause: it contained not only the tokens but also a set of the A-C books. I think I paid about 1000 kronor ($100 US give or take) for the whole lot!

You should be scared, Greg. Take FosseWay's advice and proceed with caution. Prolonged exposure will eventually lead to divorce and other unpleasant things. ;D

It's not got quite that bad yet... (as I look over my shoulder nervously at what my wife is doing)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 03:41:30 PM »
I thought this one was interesting...1950s Chicago Transit Authority token.

I am proceeding with caution :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »
Another interesting one...Vallejo Bus Company, Northern California.  I've not been able to pin down a date.  They were founded in 1919 but I tend to think this was late 1940s to early 1950s.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 06:37:26 PM »
I thought this one was interesting...1950s Chicago Transit Authority token.

I am proceeding with caution :-)
Do you remember the band named Chicago Transit Authority, Greg?. The name was later shortened to Chicago because the Real CTA wasn't pleased with the band's use of their name. Pretty thin-skinned I'd say. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 06:50:47 PM »
I'd never heard the story about the CTA being so petty.  I'm not a fan of the band but the wife is so I have to suffer through some of their songs from time to time  ::)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 07:42:14 PM »
Do you remember the band named Chicago Transit Authority, Greg?. The name was later shortened to Chicago because the Real CTA wasn't pleased with the band's use of their name. Pretty thin-skinned I'd say. :)

Bruce

It must be a characteristic of transit authorities. Transport for London vigorously restricts who can use the Tube map and how. There is an anagram version that pops up here and there on the net from time to time, but every time it does, TfL get their lawyers on the case and it disappears again. Some of the anagrams are very funny: Wifely Stench, Frog Innard and Thermohaline Warts 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5  :)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 09:06:51 PM »
I'd never heard the story about the CTA being so petty.  I'm not a fan of the band but the wife is so I have to suffer through some of their songs from time to time  ::)
I'm with your wife on this one, Greg...one of my favorite bands too.

I'd say suffering has nothing to do with the band, but with the city itself. I think there were "only" 36 shootings in Chicago this past weekend. That's way below numbers I've seen in the past. A seriously dangerous place to live I'm afraid.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 09:10:43 PM »
It must be a characteristic of transit authorities. Transport for London vigorously restricts who can use the Tube map and how. There is an anagram version that pops up here and there on the net from time to time, but every time it does, TfL get their lawyers on the case and it disappears again. Some of the anagrams are very funny: Wifely Stench, Frog Innard and Thermohaline Warts 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5  :)
It's good to hear that Londoners have a sense of humor. It's too bad Transport for London doesn't. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 10:27:12 PM »
Bruce, while I'll have to disagree on the band I do have to admit that the city has got to pot.  To bad, really, I used to enjoy Chicago.  Same for Portland and Seattle. 
The Chief...aka Greg