Not actually about coins but about Roman emperors

Started by chrisild, August 17, 2020, 09:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

This post is not really of numismatic nature but I think this forum is the best context. ;) The Canadian artist/designer Daniel Voshart created a series of portraits featuring more than 50 Roman emperors with the help of "machine learning". Quote from his website: "Using the neural-net tool Artbreeder, Photoshop and historical references, I have created photoreal portraits of Roman Emperors. For this project, I have transformed, or restored (cracks, noses, ears etc.) 800 images of busts to make the 54 emperors of The Principate (27 BC to 285 AD)."

So each portrait is based on busts, coin portraits (ha, so this is about coins after all ...), descriptions and other sources. You can find all the portraits at this site. Scroll down to "The Principate – Notes and References", and follow the links to Part I through IV. The attached image is an example, featuring Augustus (left) and Maximinus Thrax.

Christian

andyg

That's a very nice website - it's nice to put faces to some of the portraits on the coins,  you can also see where artistic licence was used on the coins compared to the marble busts that survived :)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

Enjoyed that! The mummies even more, as on those, Mr. Voshart did not have to guess the colour of hair and eyes. I doubt that Augustus was Germanic blond.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.