Events commemorated on coins that ultimately never happened

Started by Deeman, August 05, 2020, 11:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeman

With regard to the 2020-dated Team GB 50p coin, I wonder how many other countries have jumped the gun and issued coins for non-events?

Figleaf

Well, there was the ill-dated first and second Brexit coin. There is also an Indian coin for a conference that was cancelled and a Spanish coin marking the end of the civil war before it came about.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Deeman

Quote from: Figleaf on August 05, 2020, 11:24:05 AM
Well, there was the ill-dated first and second Brexit coin.

I wouldn't count the Brexit coins as issued.
Around 1,000 trial coins were made with the original Brexit date of 29 March 2019 and approx. 1 million for the delayed Brexit date of 31 October 2019 (subsequently recycled).

<k>

Quote from: Deeman on August 05, 2020, 11:04:21 AMWith regard to the 2020-dated Team GB 50p coin, I wonder how many other countries have jumped the gun and issued coins for non-events?

New Zealand's crown of 1949 famously commemorated the proposed visit by King George VI, which never took place.

The reverse design featured a silver fern leaf flanked by stars.

The design was the work of New Zealander James Berry.

See: The predecimal coinage of New Zealand.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Big_M

Quote from: <k> on August 05, 2020, 12:10:40 PM

New Zealand's crown of 1949 famously commemorated the proposed visit by King George VI, which never took place. The reverse design featured a silver fern leaf flanked by stars. The design was the work of New Zealander James Berry.

The same happened again in New Zealand in 2001. The coin says Royal Visit October 2001, but it was postponed to 2002.

Other examples I recall:
Philippines 1980 Papal Visit gold 1500 piso (also minted in 1981 when the postponed visit actually took place)
Iraq 1982 - 4 coins Non-alligned summit (cancelled, never took place, next meeting in 1983 in Delhi, info under the link: https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/08/11/Iraq-concedes-non-aligned-summit/4531397886400/)

MCz

Quote from: Deeman on August 05, 2020, 11:04:21 AM
With regard to the 2020-dated Team GB 50p coin, I wonder how many other countries have jumped the gun and issued coins for non-events?
Gibraltar issued minimum 2 coins for Euro 2020 which was postponed to next year. More info here: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,48128.0.html
I already seen the first two coins from series in sales and I guess that also some other authorities already issued Euro2020 coins.

<k>

MCz

This was answer to question about Team GB 50p coin... You wrote about 1949 New Zealand so I wrote about Gibraltar :-)
Forgot to quote, post already updated.

<k>

<k>

UK premature Brexit 50 pence design.jpg

Image courtesy of eurocoin. I have edited it to make it clearer.

See eurocoin's topic: UK: 50 Pence Brexit 2019.

March 28 2019:

Quote from: Figleaf on March 28, 2019, 11:47:19 AMThe BBC reports:

Confirmatory referendum - For: 268 Against: 295
Customs union - For: 264 Against: 272
Labour's Brexit plan - For: 237 Against: 307
Common Market 2.0 - For: 188 Against: 283
Revoking Article 50 to avoid no deal - For: 184 Against: 293
No-deal exit on 12 April - For: 160 Against: 400
Malthouse Plan B - For: 139 Against: 422
EFTA and EEA membership - For: 65 Against: 377

For comparison, the first vote on the May plan was
First time - For: 202 Against 432.
Second time - For: 242 Against 391.

Take into account that an eight-way vote takes aye votes away from all option compared to a yes/no vote.

The House of Commons was offered eight options and voted against every single one!  :D  In hindsight, this seems typical of Theresa May's incompetence.

<k>

New Zealand $5 2001.jpg

New Zealand, $5, 2001.  It never happened. That scene is false news.

In September 2001, the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's 16-day tour of Australia and New Zealand was postponed at the last minute in the wake of the 9/11 terror attacks in the US.

Abhay

In India, we have one such 5 Rupee coin - 1996 - 2nd International Crop Science Congress.

The Congress was never held, and the coin was withdrawn from Circulation. However, the few coins which were already released, are now very rare.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

chrisild

This coin, €2 Italy 2005, commemorates the European Constitution (inscription "Costituzione Europea") except there is no such constitution.

The European Convention had worked on the text of the "Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe" in 2002 and 2003, it was signed by all member states in 2004. Later most member states ratified it, but because the voters France and Netherlands rejected it, the constitution never became effective.

Christian