Author Topic: Italian 10 cent. with PANANTI counterstamp  (Read 210 times)

Offline Henk

Italian 10 cent. with PANANTI counterstamp
« on: July 15, 2020, 10:28:47 AM »
I recently obtained an Italian 10 centimes coin of Umberto I, (189)3 R with the following counterstamp:

P.PANANTI
DIGOMANO

The counterstamp, probably Italian, was applied with a single punch. This punch look likes one used by Gun or Clock makers.

Dicomano is a small city in Italy but the C is more like a G. I could not find any meaning for Digomano.

The counterstamp is not listed in the Brunk world counterstamp book (I have the first edition)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Italian 10 cent. with PANANTI counterstamp
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 12:20:57 PM »
I couldn't find anything on this one, Henk. Nothing in any references that I have. I have some updated material from Brunk (2013) but nothing on Italian counterstamps.

I think the C is actually a C and not a G. Dicomano makes sense but not Digomano Who ever P. Pananti was must have been a merchant in the city. Hopefully someone with access to older Italian records will chime in later and identify him. 

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »
The book 'Annuario d'Italia, Calendario generale del Regno', that used to be an annual publication, since 1892 included lists of all goods and services that are available for sale in every place in Italy, along with the names of the people who offer them. The 1892 edition of this book lists a smith (fabbro) by the name Pietro Pananti in Dicomano. The year in which the book was published is very close to the earliest date in which the coin could have been countermarked (1893). One would expect a punch like this to be used by a craftsmen or trader, who would have to be listed in the book. Furthermore, the punch used to countermark the coin could well be one used by a smith. No other 'P. Pananti' is listed in the book and in general I was unable to find any other 'P. Pananti' in Dicomano. It is therefore, I think, not unreasonable to assume that 'P. Pananti Dicomano' is likely the smith Pietro Pananti of Dicomano. In the book there are separate categories for watch/clockmakers (orologiai), goldsmiths (orefici) and coppersmiths (ramai) so he was not into that sort of stuff.

I was unable to find a digital copy of the correct part of the 1893 edition, but in the 1894 edition of the book, his name was no longer included, nor was it in later editions. That seems to indicate that he was no longer active by 1894. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 08:32:13 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 10:11:50 PM »
Great research, eurocoin! A smith could use punches like that to mark his products or just use them to mark low denomination current coins as cheap ads.

Another consideration is that smiths were well placed to go into machinery, shipbuilding, steel furniture, industrial jewellery or other new branches of activity that were opened up first by steam power, then by electrification. Maybe it didn't work out for Mr. Pananti, maybe he died before making his mark, maybe he didn't even try, but you dug him up.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 10:52:19 PM »
I agree with Peter, eurocoin. A good result to a difficult research effort. Many thanks for closing the chapter on this one. Well done!

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Henk

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »
Thanks Eurocoin, excellent research. Now the issuer has been identified and also the reading of the place of origin is clear. Excellent!