Author Topic: Possible failprint spanish 2€?  (Read 208 times)

Offline Murlocsoup

Possible failprint spanish 2€?
« on: February 28, 2021, 10:05:12 AM »
Hi folks,

I found recently an unknown 2€ piece to me and my research didn't helped me to identify it so far. It's completely silvern and slightly magnetic if this information is necessary. Has anybody seen a coin like that before or is there a way/place i can identify it??? Thanks in regard for all your help  :thumbsup: .

Best regards,
Thomas

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Possible failprint spanish 2€?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 11:00:13 AM »
Hello Thomas, welcome to WoC.

The official weight of €2 coins is 8.5 grams. What is the weight of your coin? Can you spot any irregularities on the edge? It should have a perfectly regular reeded edge with 2** repeated, half of them upside down.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 11:03:48 AM »
Looking at the margins on the portrait side, you can see that there is an irregularity in the surface layer.
This makes it very likely that this is post-mintage production where someone silvered or nickel plated a normal euro coin.

Offline Murlocsoup

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 08:22:59 PM »
Thanks for your replies Peter and THCoins.
The exact weight of it is 8.58g, any other 2€ coin weights 8.52. It has a perfectly regular reeded edge with 2** repeated, half of them upside down. Because of the 0.06g difference in weight it might be coated, but maybe, if both the inner and the outer circle are made of copper-nickel the weight difference comes from their higher density then the missing brass? Is there e method I can make sure if it's coated  ???  or is the only option I have to grind the coating away if there even is one?

Thanks again for all your help and have a great evening  :).

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 09:43:21 PM »
Thank you, Murlocsoup. This is as far as I can take it. The edge being OK removes a number of possibilities. The slight overweight is indeed the result of two possible effects: coating or different metal. I have no idea of the specific gravity of the two alloys used. Since you are new here, I'll try to get someone interested in doing the calculations.

Meanwhile, a bit of expectations management. It is possible that rings were produced in the wrong metal, since both alloys are present at the same mint. It is not possible to produce a single off-metal specimen of a ring in the wrong metal, so it is highly likely ghat the batch was spotted even before minting. Even if a batch of rings would have been taken for 1 euro rings, the minting process would have failed It is possible that a batch of rings in the wrong metal was produced and one escaped the melting pot. It is really unlikely, though. I have seen a number of pieces claimed to be mono-metal. All I have seen were made outside the mint.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Henk

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 10:43:39 AM »
With a weight of 8,58 grams and a normal one at 8,52 grams (your scales) the difference is 0,06 grams or 0,7%. Looks to me within tolerance.
You state your coin is slightly magnetic. So is a regular 2€ coin
A "circular line", between inner and outer part can be seen, just like on a regular 2€ coin
A plating with a heavy metal like platinum and a thicknes of 5 microns (which is large) would weigh about 0,03 grams thus also well within tolerance of the specified weight of a 2€ coin (8,50 grams)

If your coin were struck on a foreign planchet or on one without the center cut out the weight would certainly be different and also the circular line would not be present. Everything points to your coin being plated. Plating can be done easily and in fact I have seen plated sets of Euro coins for sale.

Offline Murlocsoup

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 04:00:48 PM »
Thanks again for your answers. Of course there is the possibility it's plated, I'm just skeptical about the fact that you can see the bumps on the european continent that good. I have no experience with coins so far, but something tells me these bumps wouldn't be so good visible if it would just be plated  :-\

Offline Henk

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 04:13:29 PM »
something tells me these bumps wouldn't be so good visible if it would just be plated  :-\

This conclusion is not correct because the plating can be extremely thin. Usually less then 5 micro meter. Such a thin extra layer of 0,005 mm is not noticeable to the naked eye, even with a magnifying glass. Only a change of coulor will be noticeable. The color depending on the metal used for plating.

Offline Murlocsoup

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 08:29:59 AM »
It sounds like I have only one option, to scratch the plating somewhere away. If there's another option please let me know. I will fulfill the scratching in the next 24h. Thanks again for the help.